Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calvin Brock – Contender or Pretender?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calvin Brock – Contender or Pretender?

As fight fans continue to search in vain for one man to emerge from the heavyweight muck, American Calvin Brock is beginning to look like a viable candidate for the throne. The problem with Brock is that he is not a murderous punching machine like Mike Tyson, he’s not a blood and guts warrior like Evander Holyfield and he’s not a relaxed, skillful technician like Lennox Lewis. [details]

Nobody knows if he's for real or not, because he hasn't fought quality oppositon. He definetely looks like he has potential and it would be very interesting to see him against a good fighter. He's not really excellent at one thing but to me he seems good all around. If he truly is just good all around then he would have pretty good chance at getting a title, because the division is pretty weak at the moment

Comment

Well, as of now, he's all we (Americans) have got. He showed heart against McCline and power against Lawerence. He seems to be well schooled, so I give him a better than average shot. Remember, noboby was singing Larry Holmes's praises before he won the belt against Norton...and he still didn't get his respect untill after he retired (the first time), so Brock could be "it"....we're just going to have to wait and see.

Comment

I think it was disgraceful that Dan "I could pull more women than him, no problem" Rafael from ESPN was bigging him up before the Rahman-Toney fight. American journalists should admit that there IS no current/next generation of viable heavyweights and that the division will be run by Eastern Europeans for the forseeable future...

Comment

he's a contender and we will see that on saturday, probably

Comment

....IMO he is a pretender and I don't understand some of the support he gets on here from a handfull of guys who think he is a legit threat to be the man. I wouldn't be shocked one bit to see him layed out this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pbds
              ....IMO he is a pretender and I don't understand some of the support he gets on here from a handfull of guys who think he is a legit threat to be the man. I wouldn't be shocked one bit to see him layed out this weekend.
              One trivial but possibly relevant point is that his nickname is cockney rhyming slang for "wanker". It won't make much odds, but if he ever fights on a show in London, you'll hear some sn.iggering. Puts me off when I'm trying to get into his fights...

Comment

I seen Calvin fight here in Charlotte. He has the tools, but I don't think he is agressive enough. He could have KO Bostice in the the third or fourth round, but instead he opted to go the distance. I don't know if he was just trying to give his home town a show or he just was having trouble. Granted I think he won every round, but I would have liked to see him KO a person like Bostice, and I would probably have no doubts, but he didn't so my doubts are there.

Comment

I like how the half of the article is about Wlad....

Comment

Working...
                  X