No announcement yet.

Ali-Holmes and The Trail of Blood, Part 2

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali-Holmes and The Trail of Blood, Part 2

After regaining the title from George Foreman in October 1974, the quality of Ali’s performances gradually diminished, even more so after his life and death struggle with Joe Frazier in 1975. After these career-defining performances Ali really had nothing left to prove in the ring.

While Ali’s decline as a fighter was largely attributed to his increasing age, a less than dedicated approach to training as well as a hedonistic and undisciplined lifestyle also contributed to poor often disinterested performances. By 1976 Ali had defeated all comers and had no new challenges left. When Ali won a narrow, disputed decision over Ken Norton at Yankee Stadium the writing was on the wall. Ali’s days, like all 34-year-old fighters, were clearly numbered.

On September 1977 Ali, as was now becoming his custom, won a close decision over Earnie Shavers in Madison Square Garden. Afterwards, the promoter of the fight, Garden matchmaker Teddy Brenner privately asked Ali to announce his retirement. Brenner had noticed some slight slurring of Ali’s speech and was concerned for the fighter who he considered a friend. Brenner further demonstrated his concern for Ali’s welfare by holding a press conference and announcing Madison Square Garden would never promote another Ali fight while he was still matchmaker. [details]

Great read.....AND SHAME ON THE NSAC FOR NOT LOOKING INTO THIS MORE!!!!

No, all things being equal, Ali at 38 still wouldn't have beaten Holmes, IMO; but he wouldn't have been dead meat on the ropes either. Hell, Ali was a better fighter against Berbick than he was against Holmes!! There's your proof something was screwed up!!

Comment

What a shame, I'd have loved to see Ali go out on top in his best condition.

Comment

Good article, interesting read.

Comment

I noticed on the pre fight press conference to the Ali-Berbick fight that is included on the "Last Hurrah" dvd that Ali's speech is definitely off and he seems to lose track of what he is trying to say at times.

Comment

More Excuses for Ali

The article was decent. However, it deteriorated when the author started with the excuses for Ali's slaughter to Holmes...this one was the prescription medication. (begin sarcasm) Oh, he was peaked out and ready to tear into Holmes, and then prescription medications were given and took away his chance. It couldn't be that Ali was old, that Ali didn't take training seriously, or that Holmes was a damn good champion that would have given him trouble at least at any time in Ali's career. No, none of that could be true because to say any of that is true would be to admit that Ali was a human. That would admit that Ali, a proud all time great to be sure, wasn't invincible. But that couldn't be true. I am sick and tired of every benefit of the doubt always being given to Ali. Get over it. He was a great boxer, not a genius by any stretch, arrogant, meanspirited ("Joe is an Uncle Tom") and sometimes not very professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan
              The article was decent. However, it deteriorated when the author started with the excuses for Ali's slaughter to Holmes...this one was the prescription medication. (begin sarcasm) Oh, he was peaked out and ready to tear into Holmes, and then prescription medications were given and took away his chance. It couldn't be that Ali was old, that Ali didn't take training seriously, or that Holmes was a damn good champion that would have given him trouble at least at any time in Ali's career. No, none of that could be true because to say any of that is true would be to admit that Ali was a human. That would admit that Ali, a proud all time great to be sure, wasn't invincible. But that couldn't be true. I am sick and tired of every benefit of the doubt always being given to Ali. Get over it. He was a great boxer, not a genius by any stretch, arrogant, meanspirited ("Joe is an Uncle Tom") and sometimes not very professional.
              Duncan!!!! Where have you been buddy?? The hunt is over..DUNCAN IS BACK!

Comment

That's not what I got out of it at all. The author's not saying that an unmedicated Ali would have beaten Holmes, he's saying that there was dirty work afoot for a big payoff.

Ali would have lost to Holmes in 1980 if he'd been in the best shape possible; but I don't think the fight would have looked anything like it did. And what you say about a prime Holmes giving a prime Ali trouble is true, I think, because Holmes was a great heavyweight; but the circumstances surrounding the Last Hurrah are fishy. All one has to do to know something was wrong is look at Ali's performance against Berbick over a year later, when he should have looked worse; but didn't.

Something was afoul in 1980.

Comment

I was there the day Ali sparred 14 rounds, he was in shape, and I think if not for the medication he would have won. The difference between what I saw that day and what I saw at the fight was like night and day. Holmes was good, not great. Ali was and always will be The Greatest Also the man was not dumb,he was well spoken and intelligent. Look what he did when they tried to draft him. He stood up for what he believed in and took his punishment like a man. Sure he was mean, what fighter isn't? When you're the best and you and the whole world know it, yes you will be arrogant.He was a tough SOB, who else would have got up after that left hook from Frazier? Don't talk **** about something you don't know about. If you had any clue as to how good he was you would give the benefit of the doubt everytime.

Comment

First of all, I do think that Holmes was a great champion, in fact I don't think there is a fighter in the history of boxing that you could say had a better jab than Larry Holmes. He could have defeated Ali at any point in his career. Also, phxboxingfan, you talk about Ali getting up from the canvas from a Frazier left hook, but what about the heart Larry showed by getting up after being hammered by a Earnie Shavers right hand? Anyways, I always thought it was peculiar how much better he looked in the Berbick fight a year later, I expected him to look the same or perhaps worse, so I could certainly buy this story, although I doubt he would have beaten Larry at that point anyway. Thanks for posting this article.

Comment

Working...
                    X