No announcement yet.

Borges on Boxing: Luck of The Draw For Taylor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borges on Boxing: Luck of The Draw For Taylor

Emanuel Steward kept reiterating one point in the days leading up to last Saturday night's showdown between undisputed middleweight champion Jermain Taylor and the Ozzie Smith of defensive fighting, Winky Wright, at Memphis' FedEx Forum. He kept cautioning people not to expect too many changes in Taylor just because he was now training the young champion.

Emanuel Steward didn't know how right he would be.

After two razor-thin victories over Bernard Hopkins lifted Taylor's record to an unblemished 25-0 and left him the undisputed middleweight champion of the world, Ozell Nelson, Taylor's amateur trainer and surrogate father, urged him to drop Pat Burns, the only professional trainer he'd known, in favor of Steward. Nelson and Burns clashed often but he argued it was more than a personality problem between them. He convinced Taylor that he was no longer progressing as a fighter and needed the Hall of Fame trainer from Detroit in his corner to come up with fight strategy and to iron out the obvious defensive lapses he still suffered from.

Taylor balked at first but ultimately agreed and Burns remained home in Miami while Taylor went to Detroit to work with Steward in the basement of the legendary Kronk Gym. When he emerged Saturday night in Memphis, Taylor was confident he was an improved fighter now capable, as he put it, of taking the jab away from the best jabber in the division and cracking open the defenses of the Fort Knox of boxing, Winky Wright. [details]

LOL, Borges is just mad because he picked Wright to win convincingly. I don't know how this guy gets on those countdown to _____ fights because his opinions are nothing unusual. He always makes a pick and leaves some leeway in case he's wrong. Then when his pick isn't right, he says it was the wrong decision. Borges is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego
      LOL, Borges is just mad because he picked Wright to win convincingly. I don't know how this guy gets on those countdown to _____ fights because his opinions are nothing unusual. He always makes a pick and leaves some leeway in case he's wrong. Then when his pick isn't right, he says it was the wrong decision. Borges is a joke.
      atlas and steward do this alot too.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego
        Yeah, the article seemed a bit whiney.
        He had no excuse for the Paulie pick tho.
        LOL wtf!?!?

Comment

He picked Paulie to win by brutal KO or some **** which was insane. In the end, I didn't put any money on it, but I picked Malignaggi to pull the upset too but by decision. I didn't think he had a chance of dominating and KOing Cotto. Borges is nuts.

Comment

Hell of a write up. Borges did a helluva job...and I guess I've got to agree with his conclusion.

Comment

Ron always knows his stuff.

That's why I was shocked when he picked Malignaggi to beat Cotto.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Working...
              X