No announcement yet.

The Night Wright Was Wrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Night Wright Was Wrong

Saturday night's middleweight championship bout between Jermain Taylor and Winky Wright in Memphis, Tenn., ended in a draw. As a result, Taylor, while bruised and swollen, maintains his champion status. More importantly, in the eyes of many boxing observers he also adds more well-deserved respect and admiration for his punching power, and particularly for spilling everything he had within the squared circle that nite -- all that is, except for the last and final round. Although the entire fight was an action filled back-and-forth battle of contrasting styles and table turning rallies, what should have been a 12th round grand finale to an otherwise gutty and hotly contested battle fizzled. As in dud. Foreplay without a climax. [details]

Wow, really laying it on Winky, but Wright does deserve to be put down after the way he handled that decision. He acted like he won every round the way he put his hands up after each bell. We're not buying it, Winky, and thank God two of the judges didn't either. Storming off to the dressing room. How childish. Isn't Wright the one who's always putting Vargas down? Then he goes off and does the same thing Vargas did.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego
      Wow, really laying it on Winky, but Wright does deserve to be put down after the way he handled that decision. He acted like he won every round the way he put his hands up after each bell. We're not buying it, Winky, and thank God two of the judges didn't either. Storming off to the dressing room. How childish. Isn't Wright the one who's always putting Vargas down? Then he goes off and does the same thing Vargas did.
      Winky is an overhyped piece of garbage, he lost the fight completely in my eyes, and many others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwa Is Fancy
        Winky is an overhyped piece of garbage, he lost the fight completely in my eyes, and many others as well.
        Can't say I agree with that. It was a close fight, I had Taylor winning 7 rounds by grabbing a close one in the 9th I believe. What other fights did you think Wright lost? Surely not to Mosley or Trinidad?!

Comment

winkys sourgrapes attitude brought on by past hardluck breaks wasnt called for here. it wasnt a hometown robbery. he was playing the crowd and didnt do enough to win. he weathered taylors anxious glancing blows.
          i'm starting to look at taylor like he has a 19 yr old mentality.he's still making same mistakes. and amatuerish hyperness. i still think he's coming along fine but he should take a stay busy tuneup next...he's been thru hell last few fights. heavy duty. he deserves to take some tuneups and gather his thoughts to improve his boxing skills.
          Last edited by STEELHEAD; 06-19-2006, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X