No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Lara-Hurd Produces An Unlikely FOTY Candidate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Lara-Hurd Produces An Unlikely FOTY Candidate

By Corey Erdman - In many ways, Erislandy Lara and Jarrett Hurd had no business being a Fight of the Year contender. Lara is one of the sport's most economical counterpunchers, a brilliant tactician who'd been able to nullify a who's-who of the 154-pound division with a pawing right jab and a straight left hand. Not exactly the type of fighter you'd expect to see in a war. Hurd is a relatively unassuming, calm character who operates both personally and professionally with a cool nonchalance...
    [Click Here To Read More]

From the fights I've seen this year, this so far is my favorite fight. So yeah, I concur that it's one of the candidates for FOTY so far.
    Last edited by True That; 04-09-2018, 01:42 AM.

Comment

I think it's being hailed as FOTY because Lara being the most aggressive he's ever been surprised everyone. That was a good fight, but come on....FOTY? No.

Comment

Hurd always break down his opponents desire,determination and will before he puts them off.
        He would have knocked Lara out if they had another round to go.

Comment

Definately one of the better fights this year not sure about foty though.
          Hoping we get alot more wars like this coming up this year.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
            I think it's being hailed as FOTY because Lara being the most aggressive he's ever been surprised everyone. That was a good fight, but come on....FOTY? No.
            Point to a better fight.

Lara was Lara; good jab, sharp on the counter, good use of range, etc. Styles make fights, though. Just like most other good Lara fights, Hurd accepted taking the damage to get to his own range, was effective in cutting off the ring and keeping pressure, and thrived when the fight got on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
              By Corey Erdman - In many ways, Erislandy Lara and Jarrett Hurd had no business being a Fight of the Year contender. Lara is one of the sport's most economical counterpunchers, a brilliant tactician who'd been able to nullify a who's-who of the 154-pound division with a pawing right jab and a straight left hand. Not exactly the type of fighter you'd expect to see in a war. Hurd is a relatively unassuming, calm character who operates both personally and professionally with a cool nonchalance...
              [Click Here To Read More]

825 punches..... ???

after losing all that weight

wow

Comment

I thought it was a great fight (watched it twice). Definitely one of the best this year so far.

Comment

Didn't get a chance to watch it til now. Man. It felt like a clear win for Hurd. Idk how that one judge scored it for Lara. I had it 116 - 111 for Hurd. Lara fought real well in spots, but Hurd was much too much.

I think if Lara fought his fight, stayed on the outside, utilized angles better, and was more active, he could've won. Maybe age is finally getting to Lara. Couldn't understand why he would try to slug it out with a slugger.

Pretty good fight nonetheless. I'll give it another viewing.
                  Last edited by b Murphington; 04-09-2018, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Although I hate to see Lara run and was rooting against him. He didn't run. He held his ground.

Going into the 12th Hurd was trailing on all three scorecards but he floored Lara with a crushing left hook in the waning seconds of the fight tp give him the winning margin of 114-113 on two scorecards.

The third judge had the fight 114-113 for Lara.

Fight of the year candidate 4 sure!

Give the man a rematch!

Maybe I need glasses but Hurd looked bigger and heavier than a super middle weight!

I wasn't a fan of Lara's running style. Seeing him stand his ground against the larger Hurd, props!

Comment

Working...
                    X