Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Garcia-Rios Peaked at 558K Viewers, Averaged 516K on Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Garcia-Rios Peaked at 558K Viewers, Averaged 516K on Showtime

The ratings for Showtime's second "Showtime Championship Boxing" broadcast of 2018 weren't as high as the ratings generated by its first telecast of this year. According to ratings released Wednesday by Nielsen Media Research, the main event of the premium-cable channel's tripleheader Saturday night, Danny Garcia's ninth-round stoppage of Brandon Rios, peaked at 558,000 viewers. The Garcia-Rios fight was watched by an average audience of 516,000.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I streamed it on the Showtime App like always, so I know my viewership isn't counted in these ratings. Nielsen ratings don't say much anymore, especially with cord cutters using streaming apps to watch live shows.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
      I streamed it on the Showtime App like always, so I know my viewership isn't counted in these ratings.
      Yes I watched live on Showtime Anytime as well, which isn't counted by Nielsen.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
        I streamed it on the Showtime App like always, so I know my viewership isn't counted in these ratings. Nielsen ratings don't say much anymore, especially with cord cutters using streaming apps to watch live shows.
        Wait, wait, wait, wait... watching on the Showtime app isn't included in this?

I stream too, got Sling. Bought the Showtime app just for the boxing.

I did not realize this. This really doesn't say anything then. I'm not paying over $50 a month for cable that I hardly ever watch, but $10 a month for Showtime boxing is def. worth it.

So we have no idea how many people actually watched it. Just that it was considerably more than whatever was reported. I feel duped.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Cool View Post

I did not realize this. This really doesn't say anything then. I'm not paying over $50 a month for cable that I hardly ever watch, but $10 a month for Showtime boxing is def. worth it.

So we have no idea how many people actually watched it. Just that it was considerably more than whatever was reported. I feel duped.
          Damn, $50? I wish I was paying $50 for cable. My Direct TV bill was coming in at $160 a month until I recently decided to get rid of HBO and Showtime and drop to the lowest tier of channels. Even then I end up paying around $80 a month

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Cool View Post

Showtime Anytime is not included in the ratings. Sling is included in the ratings.

It has to do with whether Nielsen considers you to be watching the linear feed of the channel. When you add Showtime to Sling, Sling is considered your "cable package" and Showtime is considered a linear channel on that package, so it is counted.

When you watch on Showtime Anytime, even though Showtime Anytime added a live feed, you're watching directly through the on demand app, not your cable/satellite company, so it's not counted.

This is why HBO GO doesn't allow live fights. They want to protect the Nielsen number. HBO GO even makes you wait several days before you can watch on demand and they never upload the entire broadcast. HBO wants to make it as inconvenient as possible to watch in any way that Nielsen doesn't count.

That is why HBO's numbers are artificially high and Showtime's are artificially low. There are numerous examples of ways you can watch Showtime fights that won't be counted by Nielsen, but HBO blocks those viewing methods because they want to force you to watch in a way Nielsen measures.

Comment

its unfortunate to see such low numbers......not sure why PBC/AH think having 'big' names fight once a year is good for business...there is no momentum or familiarity created for casuals. If PBC wants better numbers they should book these guys to fight min. 3 times a year. DSG was coming off almost 1 year layoff and Rios has been irrelevant for years, I watch all boxing but audiences wont grow with this model.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                Yes I watched live on Showtime Anytime as well, which isn't counted by Nielsen.
                Trash fight and trash ratings. What’s funny is the Errol Spence fight didn’t do much better

Comment

Originally posted by killakali View Post
                  Trash fight and trash ratings. What’s funny is the Errol Spence fight didn’t do much better
                  If Spence didn't do much better, why are they trash ratings? It was Garcia is an obvious tune up fight. What kind of ratings were you expecting?

As for the fight being trash, I found the fight to be very enjoyable. Rios gave a better effort than expected, Garcia took his time tearing him down, then beautifully and brutally knocked him out. If you're a Garcia fan, it was good to see him back knocking off some rust and putting in a good performance.

But the real star of the show was Benavidez. He looked incredible.

Comment

It's safe to say all these format/promotional/network wars have murdered ratings. Haymon pissed away hundreds of millions for no discernible benefit to the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X