Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gassiev Admits He Expected Dorticos Would Fade in Second Half

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Gassiev Admits He Expected Dorticos Would Fade in Second Half

WBA, IBF cruiserweight world champion Murat Gassiev (26-0, 19 KO) admitted that he took things very slow in his unification with Yunier Dorticos (22-1, 21 KO) last weekend in Sochi, because he expected that the Cuban boxer to fade in the second half of the contest. He wanted Dorticos to shoot most of his big shots in the first half of the contest and planned to take over when the fight crossed over in the second half.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Definitely seemed like the thought process with how he avoided a lot of engagements earlier in the fight. Let the guy with few distance fights on his resume blow some of his wad then go after the lesser, more tired guy in the later round.

Comment

after watching both semis one thing I saw that needs to be pointed out is usyk vs gassiev on the back foot. I thought usyk didn't do well and gave briedis more openings while gassiev seemed paced and composed when dorticos came forward. gonna be interesting seeing how aggression is used by both in the final. I still have usyk winning. hes got a lot more gears imo compared to gassiev and can neutralize power well.

Comment

Originally posted by youbeight View Post
        after watching both semis one thing I saw that needs to be pointed out is usyk vs gassiev on the back foot. I thought usyk didn't do well and gave briedis more openings while gassiev seemed paced and composed when dorticos came forward. gonna be interesting seeing how aggression is used by both in the final. I still have usyk winning. hes got a lot more gears imo compared to gassiev and can neutralize power well.
        Yep, it was painfully apparent in that fight. Usyk and Breidis would stand and trade, but when Breidis would explode in and push forward Usyk likes to back away and cover up - that might be a tactical decision on his part to let his opponent tire out while hitting gloves mostly, but Gassiev can and will land to the body as well as punch through his guard.

Not only that, but to some judges' eyes, the guy laying into the other guy is in control and winning, even if he is only hitting arms and gloves

Comment

Really good plan by Gassiev and his team

Comment

Gassiev improving down the stretch.

Comment

Working...
            X