No announcement yet.

Was Larry Holmes….”The Greatest”?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Larry Holmes….”The Greatest”?

I know, I know. There’s only one “Greatest”; but let’s open our minds, get past the rhetoric, and examine the in-ring accomplishments of this often overlooked and unheralded champion. The argument of “who was the best heavyweight who has ever lived” generally falls on the shoulders of two men: Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali. But is the answer so locked in that No One can challenge it? Is it really heresy to suggest that “The Easton Assassin” not only measures up to these two titans; but, quite possibly, surpasses them? [details]

My list for the last few years has been..

1- Louis
    2- Johnson
    3- Holmes
    4- Ali

Comment

Definitely top 5 all time, I think Ali, Louis, and Foreman are the three ahead of him, and Dempsey right behind that.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Hell no.Tyson beats Holmes everytime.

Comment

Holmes is no way the greatest. I think he is the only person who would ever call himself that (has his head deep up his own arse)

Holmes reigned in a relatively weak era of boxing. Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Liston were all gone. Norton was past his prime and Tyson was far in the horison.

So calling the guy "the greatest" is overating him a lot IMO.

Comment

Another example of a great heavyweight that didnt beat any real greats, but would still be as good. As far as acomplishments goes, he's definitely up there, he went 48-0 and had a lot of title defences.

Too bad he was a prick..If he was loved like Ali and Louis(Both great guys) he would've been far greater.

Comment

I don't think we'll ever know. The competition just wasn't there for Larry as it was for Foreman, Ali, Frazier, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkins#1
                Hell no.Tyson beats Holmes everytime.
                Agree. No one ever KO'd Holmes before that or after. Holmes went 12 rounds against a prime Holyfield. His record after the Tyson fight was 21-3. All 3 losses where close decisions in title fights. Holmes is an ATG, but Tyson was better. I have Holmes at #10 on my list.

Comment

Love Kevin's work.. I've seen other articles on this topic he has done and they are all very good

Comment

How can anyone with a single brain cell rank Larry Holmes above Rocky Marciano?

1. Louis
                    2. Ali
                    3. Marciano
                    4. Frazier
                    5. Dempsy
                    6. Liston

Comment

Working...
                    X