Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tom Farrell 'All Cool' After Crushing Ohara Davies Defeat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tom Farrell 'All Cool' After Crushing Ohara Davies Defeat

Tom Farrell has insisted that there is no need for concern after his first professional defeat. The WBA International super-lightweight champion succumbed his crown to Ohara Davies at the ECHO Arena in Liverpool on Saturday, exclusively live on Sky Sports. Farrell, who was previously unbeaten, was floored five times in a valiantly brave display, as part of the undercard to Paul Butler's victory against Stuart Hall.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Farrell never really got going, i think he gave Davies too much respect. How he didn't see some of those shots coming i don't know, Davies was telegraphing his punches so much i thought Farrell would step back and counter, but he just couldn't. Getting beat can spur you on sometimes and i think Farrell can learn more from this defeat, Davies himself was coming off a defeat so it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
      Farrell never really got going, i think he gave Davies too much respect. How he didn't see some of those shots coming i don't know, Davies was telegraphing his punches so much i thought Farrell would step back and counter, but he just couldn't. Getting beat can spur you on sometimes and i think Farrell can learn more from this defeat, Davies himself was coming off a defeat so it can be done.
      The thing with Davis is that his punches probably seem like they're coming from out of range but seem to land. He has weirdly long arms/punching technique even though his official reach isn't actually long.

A good fighter will still see it coming a mile off though i.e Taylor, but it's easy to see why Ohara has success v domestic level fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
        The thing with Davis is that his punches probably seem like they're coming from out of range but seem to land. He has weirdly long arms/punching technique even though his official reach isn't actually long.

A good fighter will still see it coming a mile off though i.e Taylor, but it's easy to see why Ohara has success v domestic level fighters.
        Lol, You are absolutely right, I was screaming at the TV/Farrell like "Can't you see the right hand coming from all that way" but they still seems to land.

At one point i was talking to himself that i bet you i can take on Davies and see those punches .

But like you said someone quality like Josh would do the same thing to Davies again. I don't think he is anything special, he has good power but he shoot all the way up from the hips, which a lot of intelligent boxer would see before he lands it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          Lol, You are absolutely right, I was screaming at the TV/Farrell like "Can't you see the right hand coming from all that way" but they still seems to land.

At one point i was talking to himself that i bet you i can take on Davies and see those punches .

But like you said someone quality like Josh would do the same thing to Davies again. I don't think he is anything special, he has good power but he shoot all the way up from the hips, which a lot of intelligent boxer would see before he lands it.
          Yeah, i think they should take their time with Davies. He has basically no amateur experience and it shows. I think his power is genuine, Taylor himself said he does hit hard.

I still think there's a decent fighter in Davies but he's so one dimensional that good fighters will read him so easily. I don't think he's ever going to be an excellent boxer so i think they should teach him the footwork to cut off the ring well, become a bit of a stalker in the ring if possible. If he's going to be one dimensional, it's probably worth trying to make him very effective at that one thing.

Comment

Yeah, i think they should take their time with Davies. He has basically no amateur experience and it shows. I think his power is genuine, Taylor himself said he does hit hard.

I still think there's a decent fighter in Davies but he's so one dimensional that good fighters will read him so easily. I don't think he's ever going to be an excellent boxer so i think they should teach him the footwork to cut off the ring well, become a bit of a stalker in the ring if possible. If he's going to be one dimensional, it's probably worth trying to make him very effective at that one thing.
            That might be the way to go with him, he could be the GGG of the lower weights, cut the ring off and land his power shots, didn't know anything anout davies until recently, haven't done much research on him to know he never had an amatuer background.

Comment

I noticed that too. I think it's that weird hunched over stance that gives the illusion that he's out of range when he's actually right there to be hit.

The kid's got the raw talent, but I fear he's not being coached properly to take it to the next level. He had trouble landing anything once Farrell figured out he literally just had to move away from the right hand. And, Ohara has nothing on that left hook.

Comment

Tom Farrell had terrible footwork and no head movement. He was standing up stiff as a plank just begging to be hit with straight rights that were so slow any decent boxer would have dodged or countered them.

Davies will beat these cans easily due to his reach and power, but any one who can move, has ring IQ and is around world level should beat him. Taylor beats him easily.

Comment

Working...
                X