Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Lara Injured, Diaz to Fight Rafael Rivera on GGG-Canelo Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Lara Injured, Diaz to Fight Rafael Rivera on GGG-Canelo Card

LAS VEGAS Just a few hours after Jorge Lara made his grand arrival at MGM Grand on Tuesday, the featherweight contender exited his fight against Joseph Diaz Jr.

[Click Here To Read More]

Dammit this was one of the best undercard fights of the year. Please reschedule it for HBO! I didnt realize how good this fight was until I checked out Lara. Always liked Diaz, but apparently Jorge Lara is also very good. Please reschedule!

Comment

this was a good ass fight but someone just had to slip in the shower

Comment

Damn dudes straight ducking jojo. He been number 1 ranked WBO for a long time but Oscar Valdez (who he already beat in amatures) won't fight him and arum owns WBO so they refuse to mandate the fight so he goes to WBC to get an eliminator for that belt. First this was supposed to be Warrington but he pulled out the purse bid refused to fight jojo so Lara got the shot now on the eve of the fight he pulls out. Now this fight might not count as his eliminator? I feel for jojo he been waiting a long time for his title shot and folks running from him like the plague. SMH

Comment

Tough break for JoJo but if this isn't a title eliminator fight I pull out of the fight. There's no point for him to fight in my opinion if he's not guaranteed a title shot.

Diaz is at the point of his career where he has to be in meaningful fights otherwise it's just a wasted opportunity.

Comment

That was the best undercard fight on the card I think so that kinda sucks.

This new guy gots a completely manufactured bs record. He's 25-0-2 (16), but he's 19-0-1 (14) vs cats with non-winning records & he's actually 11-0 (10) vs cats with 0 wins lmfao. He's been fighting real opponents lately with his 6 of his 7 opponents with winning records happening in his last 6 fights. Best win is over Wilfredo Vasquez Jr, although that obviously happened once his career sh^t the bed & he's been a .500 fighter.

Comment

Wow that has to hurt both men greatly, moreso Lara who was three days away from weigh-in at the time. All that work to fk it up at the gym right before a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LOCOMEX89 View Post
                Tough break for JoJo but if this isn't a title eliminator fight I pull out of the fight. There's no point for him to fight in my opinion if he's not guaranteed a title shot.

Diaz is at the point of his career where he has to be in meaningful fights otherwise it's just a wasted opportunity.
                I know it's last minute but golden boy should think about putting the Rojas fight back on the ppv. It was one of the best under card fights its for a belt and got bumped to Headline the night before on ESPN because they finally got someone to agree to an eliminator with jojo for the WBC. If the WBC won't sanction this then it's pointless and waste of everyone's time. If WBC won't make jojo the mandatory he should go back to putting pressure on the WBO for his direct title shot. Makes zero sense to fight on sat and not have it count and have to go through this drama again to find someone else to agree to an eliminator and still be 2 more fights away from that belt.

Jojo should of got his title shot after the Avila win. He's top ranked by all 4 belt orgs, a olympian, decorated amateur and on everybody's top featherweight lists. He fought 4 times last year, 5 times the year before but only once this year so career has been in limbo while the WBO and WBC try and get guys to agree to fight him. He needs a stay busy fight regardless but if no title implications move it to another date bump Rojas back to the ppv.

Comment

Damn, that sucks. I thought Lara was going to win this fight

Comment

Looks like the "injury" is bogus and Lara wasn't going to make weight.

Jorge Lara off the card; Joeph Diaz will fight Rafael Rivera
                    Sept. 13, 2017
                    Reporting from Las Vegas
                    Lance Pugmire

What looked to be the best challenge yet for South El Monte’s unbeaten featherweight Joseph Diaz Jr. fell through with an unexpected withdrawal from unbeaten opponent Jorge Lara.

Diaz will remain on the Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin pay-per-view card Saturday against unbeaten Rafael Rivera (25-0-2, 16 KOs) of Tijuana.

If Diaz (24-0, 13 knockouts) wins, he will become the mandatory opponent for World Boxing Council featherweight champion Gary Russell Jr.

Sampson Lewkowicz, the manager of Lara (29-0-2, 21 KOs) notified Golden Boy Promotions Tuesday afternoon that Lara had hurt his back.

“We said let’s get the kid on the scale,” Golden Boy President Eric Gomez said, more than hinting that the fighter wouldn't make weight. “They never produced the kid, and we waited until 10 p.m. … very mysterious.”

Southland-based manager Alex Camponovo produced Rivera, who was originally in talks to be Diaz’s opponent, Gomez said, until the WBC requested Lara.

Lara impressively knocked down former multi-division champion Fernando Montiel four times in the first round of a 2016 bout at StubHub Center.

Rivera most recently fought June 23 in Ontario and beat former super-bantamweight world champion Wilfredo Vasquez Jr. by split decision in 2015.

“Fortunately for us, because the fight could’ve fallen apart, Camponovo had [Rivera] scheduled to fight next week, so the kid’s been in training and he’s ready,” Gomez said. “He just needs to go through [routine] medical exams.”

Comment

Working...
                    X