Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo: Mayweather-Pacquiao Really Hurt Boxing, Especially PPV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo: Mayweather-Pacquiao Really Hurt Boxing, Especially PPV

Last week, 90,000 fans packed Wembley Stadium in London for a heavyweight thriller. On Saturday, Mexican rivals Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. square off in front of what's expected to be the largest indoor crowd for a bout in Las Vegas. The sport appears to be on the upswing two years after the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao blockbuster fight ended with boos and jeers and has been blamed on ensuing disappointing pay-per-view numbers.
    [Click Here To Read More]

blame Mayflower for that fight she always hugging and running in all rounds
    your fight with chavez is not a meaningful almost a flop!

Comment

Yes, but thank god we have you to restore all credibility with your epic, highly competitive ppv matchups against such esteemed opposition as Liam Smith, Amir Khan and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Porter View Post
        Yes, but thank god we have you to restore all credibility with your epic, highly competitive ppv matchups against such esteemed opposition as Liam Smith, Amir Khan and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Lmao

#The Truth

Comment

It really did. That fight was so unwatchable and it was the most hyped up fight ever.

Sucks that Floyd's style is so boring and Pac was so tentative than usual.

Comment

The fight was an unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions

It was built up to be bigger than the f**king superbowl, I mean the whole world was watching...and for that??

I've heard Floyd fans say that people just thought it was boring because Floyd won and that all of the Floyd haters were butthurt, but no. A good fight is a good fight. And that was a f**king horrific "fight". It was basically light sparring for 12 rounds without a a single memorable or dramatic moment in the fight, unless you count the time Manny stunned Floyd and unleashed a barrage of mostly missed or blocked punches.

And yes, I get it, anybody who knows Floyd at all knew that he's a defensive fighter to the millionth degree, and it was never going to be a firefight, that much is true but still.

Both fighters exited the ring with career lows in punches landed. From just a pure entertainment perspective it was awful. It was beyond awful.

I will say this, though. I do think that the onus was on Manny. It was. We all know that Floyd is safety first, defense first at all times. Floyd could give two ****s about making it entertaining for the fans so long as he's winning the fight. So it was up to Manny to bring the fight out of him, and as we all saw, he couldn't do it. So yeah in the end the bulk of the blame goes to Manny.

But my God what a travesty of a fight. Ask any fan out there who didn't have a dog in the race and they'll tell you that **** was as entertaining as watching paint dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              The fight was an unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions

It was built up to be bigger than the f**king superbowl, I mean the whole world was watching...and for that??

I've heard Floyd fans say that people just thought it was boring because Floyd won and that all of the Floyd haters were butthurt, but no. A good fight is a good fight. And that was a f**king horrific "fight". It was basically light sparring for 12 rounds without a a single memorable or dramatic moment in the fight, unless you count the time Manny stunned Floyd and unleashed a barrage of mostly missed or blocked punches.

And yes, I get it, anybody who knows Floyd at all knew that he's a defensive fighter to the millionth degree, and it was never going to be a firefight, that much is true but still.

Both fighters exited the ring with career lows in punches landed. From just a pure entertainment perspective it was awful. It was beyond awful.

I will say this, though. I do think that the onus was on Manny. It was. We all know that Floyd is safety first, defense first at all times. Floyd could give two ****s about making it entertaining for the fans so long as he's winning the fight. So it was up to Manny to bring the fight out of him, and as we all saw, he couldn't do it. So yeah in the end the bulk of the blame goes to Manny.

But my God what a travesty of a fight. Ask any fan out there who didn't have a dog in the race and they'll tell you that **** was as entertaining as watching paint dry.
              The fight wasn't a disaster and it didn't hurt boxing. Because 95% of the people that watched aren't boxing fans. And will never be boxing fans. A lot of stars had to align to make an event reach the magnitude of Floyd-Manny. And it probably never happen again.

The only travesty coming outta that fight is supposed fight fans acting like butt hurt teenage girls, b1tching and moaning because their guy didn't win.

Comment

Floyd and Haymon ruined the sport of boxing to fill their own pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
                  The fight wasn't a disaster and it didn't hurt boxing. Because 95% of the people that watched aren't boxing fans. And will never be boxing fans. A lot of stars had to align to make an event reach the magnitude of Floyd-Manny. And it probably never happen again.

The only travesty coming outta that fight is supposed fight fans acting like butt hurt teenage girls, b1tching and moaning because their guy didn't win.
                  95% weren't boxing fans? still an exciting fight could have had the potential to win new fans. I'm guessing most of us became boxing fans after watching a great fight. For me it was Ali vs Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                    95% weren't boxing fans? still an exciting fight could have had the potential to win new fans. I'm guessing most of us became boxing fans after watching a great fight.
                    Ding ding ding, we got a winner.

Absolutely, if the fight was a good fight -- and I'm not even talking fight of the year stuff obviously -- even if it was just a good, solid scrap with some genuine dramatic moments, then it would've been a win all around. And yes, it would've birthed some new fans. It also would've had an afterglow affect that, for once, shone brightly on this much maligned sport. It would've left a good taste in people's mouths about the sport.

Instead it not only completely shut the door for some who may have taken a further interest in the sport, it f**king deadbolted that ****.

And you best believe that there were a sizable number of casual fans who witnessed that fight and said to themselves after paying $100 for that, "never again".

Like it or not casual fans do drive the PPV sales. They do. Casuals who are on the fence will typically make a night out of a good main event. But post Mayweather/Pacquiao those on the fence casuals not only hopped off the fence, they ran as fast as they could in the opposite direction of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X