Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: Chavez Fight Helps Canelo in Dealing With Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: Chavez Fight Helps Canelo in Dealing With Golovkin

In a little over two weeks time, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) will face the biggest opponent of his career when he takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at a catch-weight of 164.5-pounds. Canelo, who holds the WBO junior middleweight title, is heading up from 154-pounds. Chavez Jr., who fought as high as 172-pounds, is coming down from his last fighting weight of 168-pounds.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Not sure how really. Two different styles.

Comment

Ummm how Oscar..... Chavez fights nothing like GGG.... that like when people say Jacobs gave GGG problems so will Canelo. They fight nothing alike FFS.

Comment

Dealing as in athleticism or dealing as in money? Cause....

Comment

Agree with Oscar

This fight does help Canelo prepare for GGG. 1st, it gives Canelo an idea of how he feels fighting over 160lbs. Chavez is a big, strong, powerful puncher. he comes forward looking to do damage with power shots, especially to the body. Now, he does not have the technical prowess of GGG, but his way of fighting is a good testing ground for Canelo, because we all know GGG is going to come forward and hunt down Canelo.

Canelo can see how he takes a much bigger man's power. GGG comes forward looking for a ko, Chavez in that regard is similar, but uses body punching more to wear down his opponent. GGG is not much faster than Chavez, actually GGG's punches are wider and Chavez's are shorter and tighter. I believe that Chavez probably has a better chin than GGG, actually I think GGG chin resistance has been exaggerated somewhat. Although GGG's defense is better than Chavez he does make some pretty basic mistakes like backing straight out. Chavez is physically bigger and stronger than GGG and has a better body attack. 1st time in a long time Canelo will be the smaller man.

I think its important for Canelo to see how he reacts to a much bigger, stronger, pressure fighter, who hits hard and also has a good chin. How will he deal with the pressure, the sheer physical strength of Chavez and his ability to go to the body consistently. Canelo has never had to deal with a strong bigger body puncher. Its gonna be a tough fight for him at least for the first half of the fight. All these points will help him in the GGG fight.

Considering the selection of other fighters out there to help Canelo prepare for GGG, Chavez is not that bad of a choice.
          Last edited by jdp28tx; 04-20-2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

It helps from only a pure size perspective because Chavez Jr. is much bigger than GGG but that's about it.

Chavez Jr. doesn't have the boxing skills or smarts on GGG.

Comment

Or who knows maybe the fight will mirror Toney vs Barkley.

Comment

Originally posted by jdp28tx View Post
                This fight does help Canelo prepare for GGG. 1st, it gives Canelo an idea of how he feels fighting over 160lbs. Chavez is a big, strong, powerful puncher. he comes forward looking to do damage with power shots, especially to the body. Now, he does not have the technical prowess of GGG, but his way of fighting is a good testing ground for Canelo, because we all know GGG is going to come forward and hunt down Canelo.

Canelo can see how he takes a much bigger man's power. GGG comes forward looking for a ko, Chavez in that regard is similar, but uses body punching more to wear down his opponent. GGG is not much faster than Chavez, actually GGG's punches are wider and Chavez's are shorter and tighter. I believe that Chavez probably has a better chin than GGG, actually I think GGG chin resistance has been exaggerated somewhat. Although GGG's defense is better than Chavez he does make some pretty basic mistakes like backing straight out. Chavez is physically bigger and stronger than GGG and has a better body attack. 1st time in a long time Canelo will be the smaller man.

I think its important for Canelo to see how he reacts to a much bigger, stronger, pressure fighter, who hits hard and also has a good chin. How will he deal with the pressure, the sheer physical strength of Chavez and his ability to go to the body consistently. Canelo has never had to deal with a strong bigger body puncher. Its gonna be a tough fight for him at least for the first half of the fight. All these points will help him in the GGG fight.

Considering the selection of other fighters out there to help Canelo prepare for GGG, Chavez is not that bad of a choice.
                Literally stopped reading here.

Comment

Cant wait for this fight! 2 mexicans going at it?? those are the best fights in the business! and the hate is real. It wont be a legendary fight i dont believe but none will back out and it will be a nice fight to talk about leading to GGG or Leniuex.

Comment

Chavez jr can KO Canelita.

Comment

Working...
                    X