Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gutknecht Will Never Fully Recover From Injuries in Groves Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Gutknecht Will Never Fully Recover From Injuries in Groves Fight

Eduard Gutknecht, who was seriously injured in the fight against George Groves in November, will never make a full recovery, writes German website boxenplus.de. Julia Gutknecht, Eddies wife and the mother of their three children, indicates that the message from the doctors is that the damage to the brain is severe and that it's a miracle that Eddie even survived.
    [Click Here To Read More]

His corner and that ref were ****ing terrible. Why did they not pull him out when he was taking such a beating and was down 9-0 in the 10th round. Now look what happened, this is why I hate when people complain about early stoppages or fighters "quitting" in their corner.

Comment

I'd barely heard a word about him since. Poor bloke.

Comment

Fight should have been stopped in round 10. Took a beating he did.

Comment

Like I said before the fight (got criticised for it) this was mismatch. An utter trash fight that should never have been allowed to take place. On top of all that, the ref should have stopped the fight because at times the guy wasnt even fighting back, unlike Eubank's opponent or Abdusalamov who were fighting back till the end. The guy was a walking punching bag for at least 7 rounds of the 12.

However, I go back to the original problem: why was a young, strong fighter who still has enough motivation to step back at world level allowed to fight a guy who barely made an imprint when he was at his best, let alone aged 35. Fair enough he challenged Breahmer but even that episode was a farce. Boxing needs tighter regulation on match making.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
            His corner and that ref were ****ing terrible. Why did they not pull him out when he was taking such a beating and was down 9-0 in the 10th round. Now look what happened, this is why I hate when people complain about early stoppages or fighters "quitting" in their corner.
            Yep, this is where bring "a warrior" gets someone, people can b1tch and complain about defensive fighters all they want, but imo they seem to come out of this sport better than face first brawlers and all offensive fighters.

Comment

Damn. Sad to hear this. The guy was every bit the warrior and just kept going out there, even when he was pretty much reduced to holding his guard up the whole time.
              This is why I'm against the whole "fight until rendered unconscious" mentality. As much as I love MMA, that culture is fked when it comes to this. A fighter is expected to literally be out (and maybe take a shot or two just to be sure) before it's stopped.

Comment

There's too many brave cornermen and referees in boxing. The guy was getting badly beaten and should have been pulled out. Best of luck with your recovery.

Comment

Boxing is such a savage sport sometimes..but its also beautiful ....i hope the brave warrior pulls through

Comment

Terrible news. But the corner and ref have to share a lot of responsibility. Sometimes you have to save the fighters from themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X