Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spike's TV Deal With Premier Boxing Champions Has Ended

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Spike's TV Deal With Premier Boxing Champions Has Ended

Premier Boxing Champions' partnership with Spike has ended. According to a report by ESPN.com on Wednesday, decision-makers for the basic-cable channel have decided against continuing to televise fights featuring PBC boxers on a regular basis. Spike was the only basic-cable or network television partner to commit to paying for PBC content when Al Haymon's organization launched two years ago.
    [Click Here To Read More]

PBC previously provided entertaining content for Spike – most notably Krzysztof Glowacki’s knockout of Marco Huck in their cruiserweight title fight in August 2015 – but apparently not enough for Spike to continuing paying for it. In addition to the network’s overall displeasure with the quality of the cards PBC provided, Spike spokesman David Schwarz said the network wants to televise more Bellator MMA cards on Friday nights. Bellator is owned by Viacom, also Spike’s parent company.
    Besides that Lara card, Spike had the best fights from PBC. But I can understand investing in Bellator. UFC is crumbling and Bellator is on the come up.

Comment

Al Hymie taking L's

Comment

Jason Shaw is on suicide watch

Comment

Awww..........Schucks

Al Haymon got Spiked!!

Slow news day in the boxing world so far today I guess
          Last edited by The Time; 04-12-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I never understood why pbc tried so many networks.
            They should have stuck with one network, once a week or two weeks, same time.
            Hopefully they get that now and do it with fox sports.

Same channel, same time, every week.

Comment

Good keep it on cbs or nbc exclusively

Comment

Well that sucks. Spike felt right for boxing but all good things must come to an end I guess.

Comment

Spike was one of the better PBC shows just because they prioritized action fights more, and had a better commentary team. Still, we also got Danny Jacobs against Sergio Mora twice, and tons of other typical PBC crap. I'm glad PBC is dying because the product has been quantity over quality. Obviously the last few months have been better, but you new, casual boxing fans have to understand, Al Haymon has been at this for a decade. I still remember when he was at HBO, and he kept putting Andre Berto on HBO in mismatch after mismatch.

So people can say PBC just started, and fans need to excuse a few years of mismatches while it gets going, but Al Haymon was already putting on mismatches for years before PBC even started. PBC just continued it. I'd say we've gotten like 6 good months from Al Haymon's boxing programming out of the last 10 years, and that's just because he's run out of money to pay for mismatches the last 6 months. So we have a large sample size that tells us this guy loves mismatches. As a boxing fan, I don't like mismatches, therefore I'm glad PBC is done. It's not any personal animosity towards Haymon, but his product has been **** for way, way too long. Networks need to stop being fools and stop working with the mismatch king.

That's not to say other promoters like Arum don't put on mismatches, but at least they offered the Lomachenko fight to Salido, Corrales, and all the other champs before going down the list to Sosa. Haymon is different in that he offers the mismatches first. Plus, it's just the frequency.

Comment

Where's all the clowns who swore PBC was doing well?

Boxing will never ever again have a chance to break through into mainstream again, not like the chance Haymon just wasted.

Comment

Working...
                    X