Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: How Much Might Forgettable Thurman-Garcia Fight Damage Future Viewership?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: How Much Might Forgettable Thurman-Garcia Fight Damage Future Viewership?

By Keith Idec - The Keith Thurman-Danny Garcia ratings were so impressive network television executives must take notice. That much appears clear. A boxing match televised in prime time on free TV hasn't drawn a peak audience of 5.1 million viewers or an average audience of 3.74 million viewers since 1998. That last part is somewhat misleading because boxing barely has been televised in prime time on free TV over the past 19 years...
    [Click Here To Read More]

I dont think the fight was all that bad but understand how much a casual fan would not want to see a rematch or even another boxing match. A lot of fighters play it a little too safe. I admit it is rare when a real fight breaks out these days but when they do there is no sport better.

Comment

Boxers need to understand that professional boxing is largely an entertainment business.

While boxing is an art as Thurman says..it indeed it is... and yes the point system is there...

If you simply wanted to outpoint a guy and didn't care to entertain.. you can stay in the amateur ranks and fight in the Olympics.

People pay for boxing whether going to events live, paying for subscription channels HBO/Showtime or purchasing PPV events. And they want to see action.

Finding a balance is the key... box, move but please the crowd/fans.

Comment

Fight lacked drama and one fighter willing to show he was the man at 147...i also feel that the PBC events in general seem to lack something....big boxing fights should be shown with big monitors, great ringwalks , lights and fireworks ..the ring ropes traditional red white and blue ... a lighter canvas , i much prefer the setting of an HBO broadcast than a PBC set up....just my opinion

Comment

Thurman isn't gonna step outside of himself against a dangerous counter puncher in Danny Garcia. I know we want to be entertained but why do we have a tendency to forget that some of these fighters are limited in certain areas? Neither of these two are comfortable being the aggressor or fighting on the inside, Porter made it competitive enough against Thurman that he forced Thurman to step outside of himself in order to win, Garcia didn't.

Comment

Was the fight that bad? Haven't seen it to judge. Wanted to Youtube it later.

Comment

I get it now.. if boxers aren't standing in one place taking turns beating their brains out the fight is "boring". it was a beautiful boxing match. Thurman outbrawled Danny then showed another layer to his game by boxing circles around him as well. he basically whooped him every possible way. that wasn't no damn split decision. if people wanted a bloodbath then get mad at Danny for not knowing how to cut a ring or set traps. so Thurman should not utilize his superior footwork because it'll make the fight "boring"? smh.

fck it lets just tie a rope around boxers and put em in a phone booth and let's watch em slug it out. what's the purpose of a damn ring if you can't move your feet.

let's make it illegal to block punches too. every punch thrown should land. if a fighter moves away from danger deduct a point.

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about. That was a decent fight.

Comment

Terrible forgettable fight, both fighters fought cautious, scared. People talked about Hearn, Hagler, Leonard, great Welterweight fights of the past and then we got this snoozer. Thurman tried for 2 rounds and then fought kinda scared, Danny doesnt have the skills or footwork to chase down a mover. I would say alot of these viewers will not watch a Thurman or Garcia fight again.

There was basically no excitement after Round 2, you realized both fighters were neither hungry nor willing to go out on their shield. Next...

Comment

The secret to drawing big viewer numbers is no secret, it been a proven formula for a 100yrs, make the fights people want to see and the numbers will be there every time, its always about the match up its never about one fighter.

I thought the fight was very classy even though they stale mated each other it was very high grade boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X