Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Izu Ugonoh Aims To Make a Statement in Big Career Showcase

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Izu Ugonoh Aims To Make a Statement in Big Career Showcase

February 25th marks a huge day in the career of Polish born heavyweight Izu Ugonoh. The unbeaten KO artist has been steadily building for over 2 years under the tutelage of coach Kevin Barry for this type of watershed moment. Ugonoh spent much of 2015 and 2016 fighting in New Zealand on the undercard of his good friend and fellow stablemate, WBO world champion Joseph Parker.
    [Click Here To Read More]

It will be very interesting to compare his performance to Joshua's

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
      It will be very interesting to compare his performance to Joshua's
      Not really since Joshua carried Brezeale for a few rounds as it was criticized for being on PPV, and Brezeale is no longer an unbeaten fighter and is now in the "picking up cheques" stage of his career

It won't be a like for like comparrison

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
        Not really since Joshua carried Brezeale for a few rounds as it was criticized for being on PPV, and Brezeale is no longer an unbeaten fighter and is now in the "picking up cheques" stage of his career

It won't be a like for like comparrison
        He could easily be accused of just turning up to get paid against Joshua too, considering his total lack of attacking intent in that fight. As long as his chin hasn't been cracked, which I see no reason why it should be, I doubt he's a changed fighter between now and then

AJ looked a little "straight up and down, no special effects" against Breazeale, and even David Haye, who was commentating for Sky Sports, was basically licking his chops at the flaws he detected in AJ that night. I am looking forward to seeing whether Ugonoh can demonstrate a little more creativity and incisiveness

Comment

He could easily be accused of just turning up to get paid against Joshua too, considering his total lack of attacking intent in that fight. As long as his chin hasn't been cracked, which I see no reason why it should be, I doubt he's a changed fighter between now and then

AJ looked a little "straight up and down, no special effects" against Breazeale, and even David Haye, who was commentating for Sky Sports, was basically licking his chops at the flaws he detected in AJ that night. I am looking forward to seeing whether Ugonoh can demonstrate a little more creativity and incisiveness
          Because he was carrying him.

He was ambling around the ring throwing the odd 1 or 2 shots and backing off. After the Martin debacle they couldn't afford another early blow out so AJ was putting in less than stellar effort levels.

I said it at the end of the second round, "he's carrying him, this'll last 7 or 8" as soon as AJ stepped over his front foot and put more than 2 punches together Brezeale crumbled.

Izu Ugonoh doesn't need to carry him and will close the show early.

Comment

I'm hoping Izu can step up.

I know it is premature, but I am feeling a little hyped to see how he goes. If he can win big, then I think it will be a bit of a statement. Of course if he grinds out a win by split decision it will also make a statement - that being "I ain't ready for the big time yet"

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
              Because he was carrying him.

He was ambling around the ring throwing the odd 1 or 2 shots and backing off. After the Martin debacle they couldn't afford another early blow out so AJ was putting in less than stellar effort levels.

I said it at the end of the second round, "he's carrying him, this'll last 7 or 8" as soon as AJ stepped over his front foot and put more than 2 punches together Brezeale crumbled.

Izu Ugonoh doesn't need to carry him and will close the show early.
              That's unverifiable speculation, like the claim that Golovkin gets hit on purpose

Even if he was deliberately fighting at a slower tempo, he was still moving in and out in straight lines and throwing really predictable shots for the most part. Makes me wonder what's going to happen when someone simply circles away from his right hand and makes him fall short, especially if they beat him to the jab as well. His hands are very fast for a big guy but he doesn't disguise his punches at all, a savvy boxer could easily see them coming and start to time him. The guy in your avatar, for example. Or David Haye. Or maybe even this old inactive version of Klitschko

Comment

This is a 50/50 fight as I don't think Izu is that good. Looks very limited in there with only a quick right hand as his most dangerous punch. Plus he's smaller than I thought he was. He is faster than Breazeale and that could be the difference.

Comment

That's unverifiable speculation, like the claim that Golovkin gets hit on purpose

Even if he was deliberately fighting at a slower tempo, he was still moving in and out in straight lines and throwing really predictable shots for the most part. Makes me wonder what's going to happen when someone simply circles away from his right hand and makes him fall short, especially if they beat him to the jab as well. His hands are very fast for a big guy but he doesn't disguise his punches at all, a savvy boxer could easily see them coming and start to time him. The guy in your avatar, for example. Or David Haye. Or maybe even this old inactive version of Klitschko
                  It depends what approach he takes, Joshua has subtle variety to his game based on his opponent.

I believe Charles Martin had a very good boxing brain, but he was baited and countered twice by Joshua which came as a surprise to me, and was not expected.

I don't expect Joshua to go chasing counter-punchers around the ring trying to club them out, I feel he will hold center ring and be quite happy with spells of inactivity to lure them in. He is more adaptable and intelligent than people think. He has made many improvements since the Whyte fight

Klitschko fight will be interesting, if he gets through klitschko there isn't much to stop him in my opinion. And based on the sparring stories, I think he might beat klitschko.

Comment

Not many fighters would survive 7 rounds with joshua and seeing as breazeale shipped a huge amount of punches and his face looked like he had facebutted a 5 tonne wrecking ball ....and took his beating like a pro and even now he's even more respectful towards joshua and rates him highly..thats enough to gain my respect and hope he comes again to challenge :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X