Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "Fighting Words" - Jermall Charlo Arrives, And Now He Departs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: "Fighting Words" - Jermall Charlo Arrives, And Now He Departs

by David P. Greisman - That is how you make a statement. You don't do it by winning a world title from a faded 42-year-old who was seen as limited and vulnerable even when he was younger. You don't do it by making short work of an unproven prospect who probably never was going to be a contender yet somehow got an opportunity to fight for a world title...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Good read. Puts the 160 move into perspective. The politics throw an unfortunate wrench in what would otherwise be a lot of great potential fights at both 154 and 160.
    I see several good fights at 154 and only one at 160 but, when you look at what's feasible, 160 might make more sense.
    Charlo would feast on guys like Stevens, Lemieux, Saunders, etc.

Comment

I agree. Canelo vs charlo and GGG vs charlo would be the next step.

Comment

Excellent read.

A good first scalp would be Lemieux for no other reason than the fact that he has name recognition.
        He just might price himself out as he waits for the Canelo sweepstakes.

Billy Joe Saunders is just keeping that belt warm for the highest bidder and I do not think Charlo will be that person.

Comment

Charlo was not 158 pounds for this fight

Anyone who accepts that number is crazy. Dude comes in above 170 all the time. He likely came in around 178, not 158. To say he gained four pounds after weigh in is assinine.

He wouldn't be having issues making weight.

Now J-Rock like came in around 160, he looked light as heck.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Good read. Puts the 160 move into perspective. The politics throw an unfortunate wrench in what would otherwise be a lot of great potential fights at both 154 and 160.
            I see several good fights at 154 and only one at 160 but, when you look at what's feasible, 160 might make more sense.
            He would beat them, but Im not ready to say he'd feast on them. Charlo is a huge JRMW, that was evident last night.

Dude looked good against J-Rock, but was being outboxed, with only one point lead after getting the KD. Charlo size was way too much for J-rock, whose punches couldn't hurt Charlo. Charlos punches were hurting J-Rock every time. The size was evident from the get.

Not taking nothing from Charlo, but he's not going to have that much of strength advantage at 160. An active Suanders could fight well enough, would lose. Lemiuex would take his power well enough, lose still. Stevens would lose if it goes 12, but he could test Charlo like he hasn't been.

Charlo will be a top 160 fighter, but there is a reason Stevens and Lemiuex don't have guys like Suanders, Canelo, and Jacobs rushing to fight them. And it's not money.

Comment

Lara is the best 154 pounds

Comment

It think he should stick around @ 154 for one more, either Brook or Cotto! If he moves up, she should test the waters first! I would suggest Curtis Stevens. Williams did land decent punches, but he was too small. I'm not so sure Charlo could take those punches @ 160. Time will tell! Andrade should be chasing Lara! What's the deal with his Culcay fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                  It think he should stick around @ 154 for one more, either Brook or Cotto! If he moves up, she should test the waters first! I would suggest Curtis Stevens. Williams did land decent punches, but he was too small. I'm not so sure Charlo could take those punches @ 160. Time will tell! Andrade should be chasing Lara! What's the deal with his Culcay fight?
                  Andrade is holding himself back by not stsying due to his poor management. I think the 2nd purse bid for the mesningless Culcay fight is in a week. Instead of establishing himself as the best at 154, he is wasting his prime...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Politics is likely to be the major issue here. Haymon has very little presence at 160 and Charlo doesn't bring enough money or recognition to encourage the likes of GBP or Main Events (or indeed K2) to make the efforts necessary to overcome the network divide. It's a shame cos I think Jermall wcan do well at MW but I can see a considerable period of not much happening for Charlo in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                    X