Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joseph Parker Visits Sonny Liston's Grave, Gets a Reality Check

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Joseph Parker Visits Sonny Liston's Grave, Gets a Reality Check

Joseph Parker stops at the resting place of Sonny Liston, the heavyweight champion who was brought to his knees outside the ring. Liston's unexceptional grave marker at the Davis Memorial Park's Garden of Peace in Las Vegas has one distinguishing characteristic - tradition dictates those paying their respects leave a quarter-dollar coin.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Now why can't Roy Jones and Frank Bruno take this inspiration??

Comment

Sonny was 1 of my t time all fvorites...he was awesome & all u young guys can't c how great he was by watching hI'm on u tube...no 1 will ever convince me over dosed...he was killed for what he did not want to do...RIP Sonny...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
        Sonny was 1 of my t time all fvorites...he was awesome & all u young guys can't c how great he was by watching hI'm on u tube...no 1 will ever convince me over dosed...he was killed for what he did not want to do...RIP Sonny...
        Sonny's aura was awesome. I was a young kid I only vaguely remember his run but he memories I have were unforgettable.

Scary character.

A lot scarier than Tyson.

Comment

Liston was murdered. His mob ties were not his, but forced on him. He didn't shoot up. There was no evidence of anything other than a guy that lived clean and was trying to get back into the heavyweight mix and got murdered for it.

Comment

It's good to see the new generation of boxers learning from the mistakes of those who came before them.

Comment

Originally posted by Swatty View Post
              Liston was murdered. His mob ties were not his, but forced on him. He didn't shoot up. There was no evidence of anything other than a guy that lived clean and was trying to get back into the heavyweight mix and got murdered for it.
              Very well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Swatty View Post
                Good to see Parker is thinking ahead. It's easier to just keep plowing ahead with a career and not think it through long term... which is the exact wrong way to do it. Ideally, a fighter should have a substantial amateur career, transition to pro, and do 5 years tops.... being trained properly and be dedicated fully along the way. I wish the best for the guy.

As for Liston, like it says on his grave marker... "A Man". As a kid, used to luv watching his fights with Dad. Amazing KO power.

Comment

kinda seems like parker is a little scary. Its never good to hear a boxer talk about not wanting to get punch drunk or retireing before his career even takes off. Everyone in the games knows the risk of boxing but you cant focus on that its like reading fatal car crash statistics that every 25 seconds someone die in a car crash if you dwell on that you would be a mess worribg about your wife,children grandchildren ect

Comment

Working...
                  X