Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Explains Why He Won't Budge on The Weight For Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo Explains Why He Won't Budge on The Weight For Golovkin

WBC middleweight champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (46-1-1, 32KOs) is training hard for his upcoming title defense against British star Amir Khan (31-3, 19KOs). Should Canelo win, he is mandated to make title defense against WBA/IBO/IBF middleweight champion Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin (34-0, 31KOs).
    [Click Here To Read More]

can someone tell me what concessions he gave to Cotto and Mayweather? Those dudes were established stars since for over a decade. Didnt his team mention 150 first with Mayweather so they settled on 152? he weighed 153 vs trout. As far as Cotto idk is he tripping over his purse or something. What did he make for those 2 fights?

Comment

Huh, so fighting at the actual weight is an advantage now? Maybe someone should tell this diva to relinquish the belts if he is unprepared to fight actual middleweights.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        can someone tell me what concessions he gave to Cotto and Mayweather? Those dudes were established stars since for over a decade. Didnt his team mention 150 first with Mayweather so they settled on 152? he weighed 153 vs trout. As far as Cotto idk is he tripping over his purse or something. What did he make for those 2 fights?
        He's whining. He had a huge weight advantage over both of them. Talking about giving concessions against these smaller fighters

The only concessions he gave to Cotto were ring entrance, purse, top billing and the black roc nation ring.

This is a difficult fight and he just wants to give himself the best opportunity to win. That's all this is about.

Comment

He gave Cotto an 80/20 split, it was a very uneven split given star status and drawing power of both.

As for Mayweather, clearly fighting at 152 was a concession. He looked pretty terrible at the weigh in, to the point he had to sit down.

When he decides it's time to move up, he will. I believe he'll fight at 154 next.
          Last edited by gmc_rfc_06; 03-23-2016, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
            Huh, so fighting at the actual weight is an advantage now? Maybe someone should tell this diva to relinquish the belts if he is unprepared to fight actual middleweights.
            Salty Cotto fanboy...

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
              He's whining. He had a huge weight advantage over both of them. Talking about giving concessions against these smaller fighters

The only concessions he gave to Cotto were ring entrance, purse, top billing and the black roc nation ring.

This is a difficult fight and he just wants to give himself the best opportunity to win. That's all this is about.
              thats what i was thinking. He has been in sparing with GGG...he knows a little of what he brings to the dance.

yea, Cotto looked like he was 2 weight classes below Canelo and floyd, even when he blocked,was physically moved by body shots and head shots

he is a friggin super middleweight who drains to 155...dude weighs more than some middleweights and supermiddleweights on fight night

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                He gave Cotto an 80/20 split, it was a very unfair split given star status and drawing power of both.

As for Mayweather, clearly fighting at 152 was a concession. He looked pretty terrible at the weigh in, to the point he had to sit down.

When he decides it's time to move up, he will. I believe he'll fight at 154 next.
                a) he didnt fight drained and rehydrated over 12 pounds

b)Outside of mexicans, no one really knows who canelo is....hard core boxing fans do...casuals dont

Cotto has been in some of the biggest fights of the past ten years....Mayweather, Pacquaio, Mosley, Margarito...the entire boxing wolrd casuals know cotto .he was far more internationally known than Canelo.

Also he was a more proven fighter, fighting a bigger guy.....what did canelo think, he was gonna get 50/50 or 60/40

Comment

thats what i was thinking. He has been in sparing with GGG...he knows a little of what he brings to the dance.

yea, Cotto looked like he was 2 weight classes below Canelo and floyd, even when he blocked,was physically moved by body shots and head shots

he is a friggin super middleweight who drains to 155...dude weighs more than some middleweights and supermiddleweights on fight night
                  Genuinely asking,

Maidana weighs 165 on fight night (fighting at 147), Angulo weighs 175 on fight night (fighting at 154), Crawford weighed 153 on fight night (fighting at 135)...

What's the difference?

Comment

At this point, it's baffles me as to how he has so many fans and supporters. A lot these fighters are cool with NOT having to prove themselves. They just take the money and run. I don't think Canelo will be considered great unless he makes some changes to what he's doing. Last four fights at 155? C'mon now. Fight at the limit at least once!

We all know weight classes have ranges but at this point, Canelo is just playing everyone, including his legacy.

Comment

Working...
                    X