No announcement yet.

Juan Manuel Marquez and His Place in Boxing History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Manuel Marquez and His Place in Boxing History

In the mid-1990’s, boxing pundits and fans alike lauded the class of Welterweights inhabiting the division at the time as being part of a return to the “Golden Age”. The ”Golden Age” most were referring to was the Middleweight class of the Mid-1980’s. Back then, the Middleweight division was loaded with talented fighters like Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns and Roberto Duran. Fast-forward ten years and the Welterweight division was home to fighters like Felix Trinidad, Oscar de la Hoya, Ike Quartey and Pernell Whitaker.

But there were other less popular and probably less talented fighters that dwelt just below the top tier of the 90’s “Golden Age”. Fighters that, given a lucky break or a little more focus may have ended up in the same class as De la Hoya and Trinidad. Namely fighters like Oba Carr, Ramon “Yory Boy” Campas and Jose Luis Lopez. Carr earned several title shots and each time fell just short. Campas was a devastating puncher but proved too slow to compete against De la Hoya and simply came along at the wrong time to beat a prime Felix Trinidad. [details]

hes probely one of the biggest fools of all time if he would have took the pacman fight and won we would be talking pfp and chaves statis but the fool didnt now hes got to take steps just to get a decent fight hell never get another shot to be a super star in a few years hell be out of boxing like the rualas brothers

Comment

Great article. It may take Marquez awhile to get back to the big fights. But if I was his promoter I'd put him in a fight quick and keep his name alive. As for Lopez, I didn't know he was still fighting. I remember seeing him on espn with Lou Duva and havn't seen him since. Would be good to see him back in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by juan esparza
        hes probely one of the biggest fools of all time if he would have took the pacman fight and won we would be talking pfp and chaves statis but the fool didnt now hes got to take steps just to get a decent fight hell never get another shot to be a super star in a few years hell be out of boxing like the rualas brothers
        You're forgetting Gabrial was never the same after Jimmy Garcia died. He should signs in Gatti in a great battle but, fall short and the I think once he hit the ground he had a flash back of Garcia and the rest is history. He was an exciting fighter, but the Garcia death really ****ed him up.

And Rafael, I think after Tzyu he fought a couple more times and Im not sure what happened to him since, I think he retired. Both brother always gave great fights.

And its funny that you mention the Ruelas brother cause I was looking through my video tapes and seen a Rafael Ruelas fight and thought about posting it. Its the one where he cambe back and fought on usa network and ko'd some fighter. Great ko.

Comment

This may sound biased as a Pinoy, but Juan Manuel Marquez will be remembered as an average fighter who unified a couple of alphabelts. He never beat an elite fighter, although he gave one hell of a fight in his lone fight with one. His legacy will be hurt extremely by Nacho Beristain's mismanagement of his career. His career was that of what could've been, instead of the blazing glory of Pacquiao, Barrera, and Morales.

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Sensation
            This may sound biased as a Pinoy, but Juan Manuel Marquez will be remembered as an average fighter who unified a couple of alphabelts. He never beat an elite fighter, although he gave one hell of a fight in his lone fight with one. His legacy will be hurt extremely by Nacho Beristain's mismanagement of his career. His career was that of what could've been, instead of the blazing glory of Pacquiao, Barrera, and Morales.
            Barrera and Morales....their legacy is in stone. So is Pacquiao's wins over Barrera and Morales are also in stone and be remembered. So now Marquez's draw to Pacquiao is in stone and will be remembered.

People always want to know who were the challengers that tested these champions and Juan Manuel Marquez name will be mentioned. Then once people see how good Marquez was in his day, then they will pit Barrera and Morales vs. Marquez in a dream fight. Because Marquez showed against Pacqiao how good he is, then people will look deeper into his career and say he was also a great fighter.

When I used to pick up the ring magazine, they always had at least one article of past contenders or champion or dream fights with fighters that didn't get the recognition the superstars of boxing got but were just as good as the top fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity
              Barrera and Morales....their legacy is in stone. So is Pacquiao's wins over Barrera and Morales are also in stone and be remembered. So now Marquez's draw to Pacquiao is in stone and will be remembered.

People always want to know who were the challengers that tested these champions and Juan Manuel Marquez name will be mentioned. Then once people see how good Marquez was in his day, then they will pit Barrera and Morales vs. Marquez in a dream fight. Because Marquez showed against Pacqiao how good he is, then people will look deeper into his career and say he was also a great fighter.

When I used to pick up the ring magazine, they always had at least one article of past contenders or champion or dream fights with fighters that didn't get the recognition the superstars of boxing got but were just as good as the top fighters.
              He may be the featherweight Jerry Quarrey. A guy who was very good at the top level, just couldn't beat them. His draw with Pacquiao will diminish in significance over time, as his prime leaves him and we begin to look at his career from a distance.

Comment

if marques would have fought pacman and lost he would have had a shot at barrera and morales now both morales and barrera are in the past in there late beat up 20s mor like middle 30s and i still think marques was the best fighter of all the 3 pac morales barrera but never had a chance to show us what he had a little money is better than no money wouldnt take the pacman fight because of the money

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Sensation
                  He may be the featherweight Jerry Quarrey. A guy who was very good at the top level, just couldn't beat them. His draw with Pacquiao will diminish in significance over time, as his prime leaves him and we begin to look at his career from a distance.

LOL, you don't know much of Quarry career do you?

Quarry fought everybody. He just happened to come along in one of the best era of Heavyweights.

Marquez hasn't got nearly as many Champions and top contenders, to fight him. And Quarry never drew with either or the champions as Marquez did.

Comment

hell be rememebred as the
                    "he shoulda" or "if only" guy
                    he shoulda taken the rematch
                    if only hed gotten more shots earlier
                    also
                    hell be rememebred as a guy with all the tools that in the end
                    just fell short of greatness
                    couldnt make the transition from a very good fighter boxer
                    to a great one

Comment

Working...
                    X