No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBO Prez Explains Hard Decision To Strip Rigondeaux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: WBO Prez Explains Hard Decision To Strip Rigondeaux

Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel, President of the World Boxing Organization, explained his organization's decision to strip two-time Olympic gold medal winner Guillermo Rigondeaux (15-0, 12KOs) of the WBO super bantamweight world title.

Rigondeaux captured the title in April of 2013, when he defeated Nonito Donaire, but since then he has only made three defenses. And Rigondeaux has not fought since December of last year, which has stalled the entire division.
    [Click Here To Read More]

How about the WBO force the #1 contender to fight him and go down the list if they don't? What a novel idea.. if Rigo refuses then strip him.

Comment

I'd like to see Rigo be mandatory for the Quigg/Frampton winner.

Comment

why didnt they just set up a purse bid with one of the contenders? thats the part i dont understand im pretty sure rigo requested that they push for purse bids to get the fights made. sounds like a bunch of bs to me

Comment

If donaire wins that tittle lol i think score will be even rigo 1 donaire 1 (if he wins)

Comment

How many times is a fighter supposed to defend his title in 31 months? More than 3 I guess.

Why not make him fight his mandatory?

Granted this is a alphabet group so they make up rules as they go along so its not like those things matter. What it ultimately breaks down to is Rigo wasn't generating enough revenue for them. 3% of nothing most of the year & 3% of whatever a 122lber gets every 10mos isn't a good business model.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              How many times is a fighter supposed to defend his title in 31 months?

Why not make him fight his mandatory?

Granted this is a alphabet group so they make up rules as they go along so its not like those things matter. What it ultimately breaks down to is Rigo wasn't generating enough revenue for them. 3% of nothing most of the year & 3% of whatever a 122lber gets every 10mos isn't a good business model.
              Here is what many fighters, promoters, managers, and fans need to get through their thick skulls. Sometimes you need to go on a bum of the month tour. Its not like the WBO was asking for a mega fight. From what I understand, all he had to do was fight a top 10-15 guy to avoid being stripped. Take a page out of GGG's book, just crush whoever the hell will get in the ring with you. Get paid, build your brand and eventually mother****ers will have to fight you. Sitting on the sidelines, and getting stripped is doing exactly zero for his career.

Comment

boxing does not want rigo, that much is evident.

Comment

There was no specific mandatory fighter or need for purse bid ect. That is actually to Rigo's advantage. He could of literally fought any of the guys ranked top 10-15 and he would of been fine. Sure you can say a few guys at the top are ducking him. But that still doesn't explain why he's been so inactive and why the few times he has fought it wasn't against any ranked fighters. Those lower tier ranked fighters would all of jumped at a title shot if Rigo's team wanted it. This ain't about the WBO. It's about piss poor management. Rigo has turned down MANY fights for many reasons. Some because his joke of a team is telling him don't take that offer we can get more so he holds out and stays on the shelf and those bigger offers don't come. Or they turn down fights because they think he's too good for that fight, that location, ect.

WBO already gave him longer then they needed to but the idiot just has terrible people working for him and won't or can't make fights. In just 2 years we have heard so much drama and stories from his team they beefed with Bob Arum and we see without Arum his career is still F'd up. So don't blame Arum he has long been out of the picture. He beefed with other promoters and Managers and somehow screwed up a deal with Haymon. Haymon who literally signs EVERYONE said this fool and his people are too much a headache and passed on him. It's either a conspiracy with the WBO, Haymon, Arum, other promoters ect. Or it's just Rigo and his own team are a bunch of idiots. I'll take the latter. He needs a clean slate and remove everyone in his team and sign with a major promoter with no ties to the old one.

Comment

Hey Paco Valcarcel, why no mention of the fact that this move will now allow a Top Rank fighter to get a shot at that WBO belt? Your organization and Bob Arum seem to be pretty tight lately, wouldn't you say?

Boxing fans aren't stupid. We're watching you.

Comment

Working...
                    X