No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: It's Time To Fix The Boxing Landscape In Australia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: It's Time To Fix The Boxing Landscape In Australia

I expect this to draw some criticism namely from managers, promoters and hanger-on types of all sorts, but alas is something that needs to be said.

Before I get into my analysis of Australian boxing I'll clear a few things up:
    • A meaningful fight is defined as one that:
    o Has four- or more stars on Boxrec.com;
    o Is for a meaningful title;
    o Is an eliminator or against a Top 10 opponent

After watching Joel Brunker’s performance versus Josh Warrington over the weekend—a performance best described as watching someone try to throw punches underwater—I decided this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I’ve had enough of seeing my countrymen rack up easy wins against opposition that wouldn't be fit for a local amateur show and somehow gain lofty rankings until it's time to go cash out against an overseas legitimate opponent. [Click Here To Read More]

Gone are the Danny Green and Paul Briggs. The UFC doesn't even have any decent mma fighters to put on their stadium show in November.

Comment

We had a golden run in the 00's lead by dare I say it Anthony Mundine who really put boxing on the map in Australia. Man they were the days, Sam Soliman, Paul Briggs, Danny Green, Vic Darchinyan, Michael Katsidis, Sakio Bika all fighting at domestic level and all went on to do cool things. It really has hit a low point but there are a few of the new breed doing good things. Hopefully it turns around soon.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyheartbaby View Post
        We had a golden run in the 00's lead by dare I say it Anthony Mundine who really put boxing on the map in Australia. Man they were the days, Sam Soliman, Paul Briggs, Danny Green, Vic Darchinyan, Michael Katsidis, Sakio Bika all fighting at domestic level and all went on to do cool things. It really has hit a low point but there are a few of the new breed doing good things. Hopefully it turns around soon.
        No love for the journeyman - Kostya Tszyu....

Comment

They need to resurrect Les Darcy.

Comment

They should just stop fighting abroad and problem solved

Comment

I'd like to see more Aussie's & Kiwi's in Commonwealth title fights instead of meaningless pan Asian contests. There's 53 countries in the Commonwealth, so plenty of actions there to be had.

Comment

Working...
              X