No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Thurman Has No Doubt Mayweather Fights Beyond Berto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Thurman Has No Doubt Mayweather Fights Beyond Berto

WBA 'regular' welterweight champion Keith Thurman (26-0, 22KOs) has no doubt that Floyd Mayweather Jr., the WBC/WBA super champion at 147-pounds, will fight beyond his September 12th return date at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Mayweather claims the September fight is his final bout as a pro.

Mayweather is likely facing former WBC/IBF welterweight champion Andre Berto in the main event of a Showtime Pay-Per-View. The fight is also Mayweather's last contractual obligation under his exclusive Showtime/CBS agreement.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Why wouldnt he continue to fight? Because this is the end of his contract with Showtime, he can sell it as his last fight. When he's through with showtime, he and al can go on and make even more money with mayweather promotions. And he becomes a free agent and makes more money if he signs a contract with HBO or SHOWTIME on a per fight basis. And make more than his gauranteed 30mil per contest. And if he loses, he'll make more for the rematch. What boxer didnt comeback? VERY FEW. He is still gonna make at least 30 million for a berto fight. He can legitimize the PBC title if he wants or continue to promote his own fighters. Its a very wise business decision to announce his retirement at this time.

Comment

Even if he does retire, he'll be back. When somebody else is getn the attention and has the spotlight, thats when he'll be back. He'll be fightn to stay relevant in a year or 2

I see Garcia pickn up the crown, i see Porter willing to fight him..Thurman is being mismanaged, he'll probably fight Paulie himself next...outside of these guys i dont see anyone willig to step up and compete for divisional supremacy.

Comment

Originally posted by wlliam View Post
        Even if he does retire, he'll be back. When somebody else is getn the attention and has the spotlight, thats when he'll be back. He'll be fightn to stay relevant in a year or 2

I see Garcia pickn up the crown, i see Porter willing to fight him..Thurman is being mismanaged, he'll probably fight Paulie himself next...outside of these guys i dont see anyone willig to step up and compete for divisional supremacy.
        He can "come-back" with a pac 2 fight, thats a million ppvs easily, and then fight the winner of thurman vs garcia, another million sold "the old lion vs the new lion" ppv. two easy ppv's for mayweather promotions. or a third vs ggg/canelo/cotto winner. mo money, mo money.

Comment

I am really tired of this ****. All top guys in 147 division are only talking about Floyd and Manny and fighting bums like Collazo.

Comment

Floyd stopped "fighting" after Diego Corrales hit him the first time back in the 90's. Changed that little ho's religion.

Comment

We all know this won't be his last fight regardless if he says it is. It's just part of his negotiation strategy. Make it seem like his last fight and try to have someone offer him more money to come out of "retirement".

Comment

Originally posted by HURTFEELINGS View Post
                Why wouldnt he continue to fight? Because this is the end of his contract with Showtime, he can sell it as his last fight. When he's through with showtime, he and al can go on and make even more money with mayweather promotions. And he becomes a free agent and makes more money if he signs a contract with HBO or SHOWTIME on a per fight basis. And make more than his gauranteed 30mil per contest. And if he loses, he'll make more for the rematch. What boxer didnt comeback? VERY FEW. He is still gonna make at least 30 million for a berto fight. He can legitimize the PBC title if he wants or continue to promote his own fighters. Its a very wise business decision to announce his retirement at this time.
                Not sure.

Mayweather first spoke about retiring at 49-0 well over a decade ago.

It well before he signed the Shotime deal.

I am a long-time observer

More than a decade ago, Mayweather stated that he would never beat Marciano's record out of respect..... he also stated that equallying that record would be a huge achievement, and out of respect for Marciano, and the sport, he would retire at 49-0.

Things may have changed, not sure.

I dont care about records, and beating Marcianos record will mean very little to historians.

Then again, if Berto is PPV, and it sells well..... why would Mayweather stop?

If he can sell a lower-level fight, then he may continue doing so, like you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Cipher View Post
                  Floyd stopped "fighting" after Diego Corrales hit him the first time back in the 90's. Changed that little ho's religion.
                  last time i checked Diego corrales was on the floor 5 times against mayweather.and floyd has fought un beaten with more than 10 thousand PPV's and $600 million made.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Cipher View Post
                    last time i checked Diego corrales was on the floor 5 times against mayweather.and floyd has fought un beaten with more than 10 million PV's and $600 million made.

Comment

Working...
                    X