No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Darchinyan Not Retiring, Questions on Cuellar's Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Darchinyan Not Retiring, Questions on Cuellar's Weight

Former champion Vic Darchinyan (40-8-1, 29KOs), 39-years-old, is planning to continue his career after suffering an eight round knockout loss this past Saturday night against WBA 'regular' featherweight champion Jesus Cuellar at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

It was the third knockout loss for Darchinyan in his last four fights. He was knocked out last year by Nicholas Walters and a year prior he suffered a knockout loss in his rematch with Nonito Donaire.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I didn't know Cuellar was draining himself to fight smaller men. Your typical Robert Garcia fighter it seems. 145 pounds on fight night for a featherweight is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
      I didn't know Cuellar was draining himself to fight smaller men. Your typical Robert Garcia fighter it seems. 145 pounds on fight night for a featherweight is absurd.
      I was at this fight on Saturday and it was a very entertaining fight. There's no doubt Vic was winning until the knockout. In fact it looked like Vic was going to get the knockout. Had Vic won there would have been no talk about weight issues. All that matters is that a fighter makes weight and Cuellar made weight as far as I am aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
        IV rehydration - it's banned but I think a lot of fighters do it. How else can you explain weight gains of 20+ pounds in 24 hours?

Comment

The thing is Vic fighting guys way 2 big 4 him & has no power....he hasn't been rightsince Donaire took him out years back...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
            The thing is Vic fighting guys way 2 big 4 him & has no power....he hasn't been rightsince Donaire took him out years back...
            He fought his best after that. he just got old. 40 is ****ing ancient for a flyweight, and now that he's moved up to feather...too small, too old.

Comment

Darchinyan's enjoying being a stepping stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pound4PoundStud View Post
                I was at this fight on Saturday and it was a very entertaining fight. There's no doubt Vic was winning until the knockout. In fact it looked like Vic was going to get the knockout. Had Vic won there would have been no talk about weight issues. All that matters is that a fighter makes weight and Cuellar made weight as far as I am aware.
                The result of the fight is irrelevant because it doesn't change the fact that Cuellar was 145 pounds on fight night and this is huge for a featherweight. He made weight - this time - and putting on 20 pounds after the weigh-in is unfortunately not illegal, but I don't like it. And when it becomes increasingly hard for these drainers to make weight, some of them use banned substances.

Comment

Darchiyan vs juanma Lopez.....

Make it happen

Comment

was cuellar really over 145 lbs? damn, that's a lot. seriously. how the fuck does he make weight in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                    X