No announcement yet.

Counterpoint, Hatton Was The Right Man

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterpoint, Hatton Was The Right Man

One of the greatest things about being a sports fan is the ability to debate the greatness of teams, players, fighters or events. Growing up a diehard baseball fan, I would read stories comparing the '27 Yankees to the team of '72 or to the '74 Oakland A's. Now people compare those teams to the '98 or year 2000 version of the Yankees. [details]

The point could have been made without all of the jokes. Hatton-Tszyu was not even close to an exciting fight. Tszyu landed less punches than Taylor or Hopkins in either bout. De La Hoya was blown up for Sturm, not Hopkins. Oscar = future hall of famer. Maussa=never to see the hall. Eastman was ducked for years by every middleweight, including Taylor. Hopkins dominates him and all of sudden the win is not impressive because an undefeated prospect stopped Eastman over a year later? That must mean Tszyu's win over Mitchell means less than ****. After Tszyu, he barely beat a C-Level Chris Smith and was dominated by Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba1
      The point could have been made without all of the jokes. Hatton-Tszyu was not even close to an exciting fight. Tszyu landed less punches than Taylor or Hopkins in either bout. De La Hoya was blown up for Sturm, not Hopkins. Oscar = future hall of famer. Maussa=never to see the hall. Eastman was ducked for years by every middleweight, including Taylor. Hopkins dominates him and all of sudden the win is not impressive because an undefeated prospect stopped Eastman over a year later? That must mean Tszyu's win over Mitchell means less than ****. After Tszyu, he barely beat a C-Level Chris Smith and was dominated by Mayweather.
      I agree with some of your points Bubba and disagree with others, it was unjustified to say Hopkins was overated, Hopkins was a great fighter and I dont agree with the article on that!

Cannot agree with you though in saying the Tszyu - Hatton fight was not exciting, how???
      It was all out action, OK it was untidy but not exciting???, the Taylor - Hopkins fight was as boring a fight as I have seen, dont say it was all tactical becuase it wasn't, neither fighter took a chance, it looked like a classy exhibition bout put on to fill some time in between fights with no-one getting hurt, the only thing that kept me watching was the fact that I was waiting for Hopkins or Taylor to show up, for me they didn't, the excuse then used was that they fought an awesome tactical fight, OK theres something to be said about their skills but a bit of aggression and action would certainly have made for a more convincing fight!

Hatton took a chance, KT was the hardest punching LW around yet Hatton kept coming, KT was forced to retire and had fairly bad facial damage caused by Hattons shots, Taylor and Hopkins hardly had a mark by comparrison (that was the point though wasn't it)Taylor never tried to take the title, he had a plan and hoped it would work, Hatton forced his plan onto Tzsyu to make sure it would work!

AFTER the fight many used the excuse that Tzsyu was over the hill and washed up but they would wouldn't they!

Hatton is as deserving as any fighter out there to win the award, IMO.

Comment

The Hatton fight was very exciting. I taped it and watched it a few times, it was definitely sloppy and a slugfest of sorts, at times becoming a wrestling match, but there was a lot of energy in that fight and the crowd participation and the emotional finale between the two boxers showing respect for one another made for one of the most memorable matches in a few years.

Comment

i agree with the writer on the line that the choice boils down on the 2 fight between taylor - hopkins and the hatton-tszyu fight ... but it was more of how those fight was won the gave the choice to hatton that how tyzu and hopkins stacked up p4p ...

Comment

Working...
          X