No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Video: Glen Tapia Very Emotional After TKO Defeat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Video: Glen Tapia Very Emotional After TKO Defeat

Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey - Bill "Two Scoops" Emes catches up with Glen Tapia (23-2, 15 KO’s) to discuss his fourth round stoppage loss to Michel Soro (26-1-1, 15 KO’s) of France in their TruTV televised main event. The “Jersey Boy” started strong in the first two rounds, but then Soro started taking over with accurate punches in the third round and then badly hurt by a big right hand in the fourth, which allowed Soro to unload with more shots to get the TKO win. Tapia talks about his struggles to make the junior middleweight limit of 154-pounds and whether or not he might now move up to the middleweight limit of 160-pounds, what's next for his career, potentially taking some time off from boxing and more.
    [Click Here To Read More]

i just caught the fight. i don't have the heart to watch the poor kid getting interviewed after taking a loss like that.

tapia has some thinking to do. there's not a lot that he does well. he's strong, but that doesn't make you a good boxer.

tapia's reflexes are flat out bad. he reacts to punches after they've hit him in the face. i'm not sure if it's a product of his lack of sharpness from a proper training regimen, residual damage from the beating he took against kirkland, or just a lack of talent.

if he doens't want to become a stepping stone, he ought to think about finding some other way to make money.

Comment

really, can he get out of the way of a single right hand?

Comment

I met a guy from Newark NJ when I was travelling, very funny guy, Mexican so he was into boxing. He told me to watch out for Glen Tapia cos he was gonna be the next big thing. Since he said that the guys been stopped twice.

Comment

It was sad to see the poor kid get stopped like that but let's not take away from the fact that Michel Soro is a damn good boxer.

Comment

i usually love steve smoger, because he doesn't break clinches. when fighters know that the ref isn't going to split them up, they generally start to keep their hands free and actaully fight inside. novel concept, i know.

i'm starting to really resent his late stoppages. i used to appreciate the wars. now i worry about these kids taking headshots. i guess i'm getting old.

glen tapia took a life changing beating against jim kirkland. that dude is freaking vicious when he's got a stationary target, and smoger let him tee off until tapia was unconscious and needed to be held up.

he was never going to be great, anyway, as his defense and reflexes aren't good. his jaw was broken when he was in the prospect stage, IIRC. got some teeth knocked out, too. that's not an endorsement of the solid defense you need to be a world class fighter.

still, a kid doens't need to be washed up in his 20's because of a bunch of extra punches that he shouldn't have to take.

this sport sucks, sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
              It was sad to see the poor kid get stopped like that but let's not take away from the fact that Michel Soro is a damn good boxer.

that's fair. he threw the right hand short and timed it perfectly. when tapia was hurt, he started to throw the uppercuts and left hooks. solid performance.

i think it's natural to focus on tapia because he's somebody we know and recognize. he was a pretty big part of manny's camp against margarito, and i thought at that time that he'd be an action fighter who would stick around for a few exciting fights. clearly his defense wasn't good enough to stick around, but he's got the action part down.

Comment

Top Rank is usually pretty good about matchmaking especially if they think a guy can sell but either they completely overestimated Tapia or just thought this was how to make him popular by putting him in supertough but Kirkland was a huge gamble and Soro is a very good fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  i usually love steve smoger, because he doesn't break clinches. when fighters know that the ref isn't going to split them up, they generally start to keep their hands free and actaully fight inside. novel concept, i know.

i'm starting to really resent his late stoppages. i used to appreciate the wars. now i worry about these kids taking headshots. i guess i'm getting old.

glen tapia took a life changing beating against jim kirkland. that dude is freaking vicious when he's got a stationary target, and smoger let him tee off until tapia was unconscious and needed to be held up.

he was never going to be great, anyway, as his defense and reflexes aren't good. his jaw was broken when he was in the prospect stage, IIRC. got some teeth knocked out, too. that's not an endorsement of the solid defense you need to be a world class fighter.

still, a kid doens't need to be washed up in his 20's because of a bunch of extra punches that he shouldn't have to take.

this sport sucks, sometimes.
                  Smoger clearly ****ed up with the Kirkland stoppage. There was no reason for Tapia to take that last punch other than Smoger taking his sweet ass time to stepping in.

I'm also usually a smoger fan.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    that's fair. he threw the right hand short and timed it perfectly. when tapia was hurt, he started to throw the uppercuts and left hooks. solid performance.

i think it's natural to focus on tapia because he's somebody we know and recognize. he was a pretty big part of manny's camp against margarito, and i thought at that time that he'd be an action fighter who would stick around for a few exciting fights. clearly his defense wasn't good enough to stick around, but he's got the action part down.
                    What sucks is the kid (Tapia) has some good form. He came out throwing the double jab to the head then body, and he's actually pretty light on his feet at times for a 6ft bulky JMW.

My issue with him is punch resistance, and heart might be slightly questionable. The two things you cannot train or teach, he lacks. Of course, in my humble opinion.

He's not cut out for this war stuff. Not many of us are.

You can see the moment he gets touched he gets effected.

Comment

Working...
                    X