Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Russell***8217;s KO Creates New 20-something Dynasty at 126

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Russell***8217;s KO Creates New 20-something Dynasty at 126

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Will the real Gary Russell Jr. please stand up?

Is the 26-year-old still the athletically gifted but technically outmatched wannabe he portrayed nine months ago in a not-nearly-so-close-as-it-was-scored majority decision loss to Vasyl Lomachenko?

Or is he now the multi-faceted assassin who took less than 10 in-ring minutes to detach veteran Jhonny Gonzalez from a tenuous connection to world-stage relevance on Saturday night in Las Vegas.

The answer, as in many things, probably resides somewhere in the middle.

But regardless of where one thinks the Washington, D.C. native rightfully belongs in the suddenly reconfigured mix at 126 pounds, there seems little reason to doubt that the featherweight ranks are entering a top-end golden age they’ve not seen in recent multi-belt memory.

Russell’s four-round ascension made him the fourth 20-something to possess a recognized championship trinket in the weight class – 25-year-old Lusanda Komanisi is the IBO’s lesser-known title-holder – and the prospect of fellow youngsters Lomachenko (27, WBO), Nicholas Walters (29, WBA) and Evgeny Gradovich (28, IBF) dueling for premier jewelry is a tantalizing dream if not a reachable reality.

And it doesn’t hurt that the division’s most-decorated non-champion – Abner Mares – is only 29.

Russell, the former U.S. amateur kingpin, controlled the first two rounds against Gonzalez with his fast fists, but it was a thudding straight left followed by a sweeping right hook that sent his foe down in the third, and the wobbly Mexican never recovered – falling once more in the fourth before referee Tony Weeks stepped in to end matters just 37 seconds into the session. [Click Here To Read More]

The division is young, talented and stacked...

Hopefully we get a lot of fights between these guys and kinda recreate the early 2000s featherweight division with prince, barrera, morales, manny, marquez all giving us a bunch of memorable fights

Comment

Russell like Gonzalez is the weakest of the championship in that dn. Am I the only one who's not high of russell yet? I mean its not like johnny was some beast. He's been ko'd like 4 other times

Comment

Excited to see what next big fight happens in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious. View Post
          Russell like Gonzalez is the weakest of the championship in that dn. Am I the only one who's not high of russell yet? I mean its not like johnny was some beast. He's been ko'd like 4 other times
          You're not the only one. I always thought Gonzalez was very average. Wasn't he KO'd by little Nishioka back down @ 122, whom was stopped by Donaire. This was a con-job to obtain a Championship without fighting the real Champion. I believe Russell is on the same level as guys like Donaire and Mares. Just a notch below the Elite level.

Comment

Working...
          X