No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gary Russell's Success Story Seven Years in The Making

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Gary Russell's Success Story Seven Years in The Making

By Jake Donovan - Gary Russell Jr. had been waiting since the morning of opening round competition at the 2008 Beijing Olympics to have the chance at making the world stand up and take notice at his in-ring performance.

The D.C. native finally notched the first of what he expects to be several great moments in his career Saturday evening at the Palms in Las Vegas. A one-sided 4th round knockout of Jhonny Gonzalez netted Russell a featherweight title, and a small dose of redemption for having failed miserably in his first attempt at such honors.

“This is the kind of performance I always expect but don’t always get,’’ said Russell, whose previous bid at a belt ended with a 12-round loss to Vasyl Lomachenko last June. “If people only knew how hard we worked for this, the time we put in the gym, the mental and physical things we work on and put ourselves through every day.

“There are always obstacles to overcome but for this fight I was 100 percent. This win is for all the people who have been with me from the beginning.’’

It came out during fight week in the days leading up to Saturday’s fight as to why Russell expected – and delivered – a far stronger performance. The claim from his camp was the manner in which he was asked to make weight prior to the Lomachenko fight – staying at full strength until 2-3 days before the weigh-in, at which point his unnamed strength and conditioning coach asked him to spend time in the sauna to shed the remaining weight above the limit. [Click Here To Read More]

he is good but Lomanchenko's the king of the division, Russell's a paper champ

Comment

The most unhappy looking championship belt winner I've ever seen. I wonder if its because Lomo is the real champ or if being a boxing champ was his father's dream not his.

Comment

Originally posted by glenn mcrory View Post
        Also expect a "Russell shows his true potential" article tomorrow. :sowwy:
        Called it. Stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to write it too. Boxingscene writers please calm down, rest, and check your blood pressure (and your soiled pants). Even Sonny Boy Jaro held a belt once, don't set yourselves up for more heartbreak.

@buckfangs
        Not according to Bernstein and the shill fightcallers...
        "GARY RUSSELL BECOMES THE 126 POUND KINGPIN IN HIS SECOND TITLE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!":snicker:

Comment

Originally posted by gdub27 View Post
          The most unhappy looking championship belt winner I've ever seen. I wonder if its because Lomo is the real champ or if being a boxing champ was his father's dream not his.
          Actually now that you mention it, he looked completely and utterly unconcerned with having won a major title. Like he just wanted to get home already. Odd, i have to say, considering the amount of work that a pro boxer puts in to get to this level.

Comment

I won't be surprised if he failed the drug test

Comment

At least Russel knows hes not the champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                and what if he does'nt?

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                  i'd like to see russell vs my boy mares

Comment

It was pretty interesting to listen to him after the win. Like he still feels he is making up for past disappointments and this was just another step. He seems motivated to do much more, which is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X