No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jhonny Gonzalez-Gary Russell: Pre-Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jhonny Gonzalez-Gary Russell: Pre-Report Card

by Cliff Rold - Talent versus experience.

Battle tested versus protected.

These are the dimensions of an intriguing clash in one of boxing’s hottest divisions on Saturday night (Showtime, 10 PM EST/7 PM PST). 2008 Olympian Gary Russell Jr. () has plenty of tools. He’s been matched like he doesn’t, carefully guided towards now two title shots on paths of lesser resistance.

It got him beat handily last year by the talented and go-for-broke from the start Vasyl Lomachenko. Will that fight, and an aging veteran, mean the second time is the charm?

Gonzalez has been in with so many of the top guys. He’s lost wars to the likes of Israel Vazquez, been shocked by Toshiaki Nishioka and Gerry Penalosa, and outboxed by Daniel Ponce De Leon. He’s shocked Hozumi Hasegawa and Abner Mares and outboxed Fernando Montiel. Does he have the experience, and the mettle, to overcome the speed of Russell? [Click Here To Read More]

Last time I commented on a pre fight card of cliffs he got it very wrong. He's got it wrong again. Gary Russell is on those air made at the weigh in, he's a lot shorter! Gary Russell is a light puncher who was gunshot against lomanchenko who was an average puncher Gonzalez is a huge puncher. Of his losses they have been to southpaws but dig deeper. He was easily beating penalosa, he was beating nishiokia who hit him on the button, etc etc. Gary Russell has fought tomato cans and will get hit at some point. When he does he's sleeping. Gary Russell's power is a b? Did you see his last fight cliff?!?! Gonzalez stops him tonight

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
      Last time I commented on a pre fight card of cliffs he got it very wrong. He's got it wrong again. Gary Russell is on those air made at the weigh in, he's a lot shorter! Gary Russell is a light puncher who was gunshot against lomanchenko who was an average puncher Gonzalez is a huge puncher. Of his losses they have been to southpaws but dig deeper. He was easily beating penalosa, he was beating nishiokia who hit him on the button, etc etc. Gary Russell has fought tomato cans and will get hit at some point. When he does he's sleeping. Gary Russell's power is a b? Did you see his last fight cliff?!?! Gonzalez stops him tonight
      Yeah I just don't see how everyone claims Southpaws give him trouble, as if he wasn't outboxing or holding his own in their until his chin gave out.

Gerry KO'd him with an incredibly well placed hook to the body after Gonzalez was easily up 6 or 7 rounds to 1. Nishioka caught him off guard with another incredibly well placed punch and knocked him the eff out. PDL manhandled him and it was quite an awkward fight due to Ponce's unorthodox style of fighting, that and the headbutts that lead to the stoppage.

Win, lose or draw I'm sticking with Jhonny, I just believe his skills, abilities and career are often overlooked. I really hope he proves everyone wrong once again.

Comment

I'm going with Gonzalez here. I think Gonzalez's boxing skills often get over looked, he's a lovely boxer from the outside. Once he gets into a rythme of jabbing from range he'll repeatedly tag Russell coming in with that sharp straight right hand of his. Once Russell feels the power he'll become hesitant and Gonzalez will start to tee off on him.

Gonzalez by late KO

Comment

I agree with the rest. Gonzalez has multiple game plans if one doesn't work, he's good at timing his opponents, and his long jab is going to be the thing that sets up a mid/late rounds KO. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Russell-The-Boring-One comes up with a safe track-meet-style to win, I'm in Gonzalez' corner and hope he stops the propped-up pretender.

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
            Yeah, his power was a B tonight. I saw both their last few fights. I don't think I could have got this one more right.

Don't worry...I'll have another of whatever you're talking about from last time. Cheers.

Comment

LOL ethered.

People fooled themselves just because Gonzalez beat the undersized Mares... Gonzalez could always punch but that has been all he can do for years.

Easy fight to predict, spot on by Cliff Rold....and those picking Gonzalez...shouldnt make predictions if they havent watched at least the last 5 fights of both guys

Comment

Working...
              X