No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Video: Josesito Lopez Furious With The Berto Stoppage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Video: Josesito Lopez Furious With The Berto Stoppage

Citizens Business Bank Arena, Ontario, California - Radio Rahim catches up with welterweight contender Josesito Lopez to discuss the sixth round TKO loss at the hands of former WBC/IBF champion Andre Berto, which headlined the Premier Boxing Champions televised debut on Spike TV. Lopez discusses how the fight was playing out and he disagreed with the referee's decision to stop the bout, after suffering two knockdowns in the sixth.
    [Click Here To Read More]

It was a bull stoppage. I don't think it is unfair to say that Lopez probably won the first 5 rounds. When somebody is winning by that margin, the ref has to give a bit more of a chance to a hurt fighter. It's not like he was losing badly and hadn't shown much in terms of being able to stage a comeback.

Comment

I would be pissed too if i was in his place and anybody who says otherwise is blind or incompetent. If you look at last nights showtime main event where Cornflake lost a fight when ref waved it off after the 3rd knockdown in a single round, even though Cornflake would have made the count easily it was stopped. It was a somewhat logical and legit stoppage because Cornflake was losing highly on points, got dropped THREE times in a round, was in basically no position to win the fight so ref waved it off. Lopez was pooping on Berto's forehead until the final round, gets hurt, goes down and takes his time to get up so he can recover. Gets up, fight resumes and he gets flash knockdowned and goes down again. He doesn't fall unconciously to the canvas, he doesn't get dropped in a dramatic fashion, he just goes down and is ready to get up right away, but the ref without a single thought or facial and bodily analysis waves off the fight, robbing a warrior like Lopez who's known to be in tough fights in which he trives. Bad call by the ref and people need to stop acting like it's not, it totally ruined what was going to be a good fight and left a sour taste in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfocus View Post
        It was a bull stoppage. I don't think it is unfair to say that Lopez probably won the first 5 rounds. When somebody is winning by that margin, the ref has to give a bit more of a chance to a hurt fighter. It's not like he was losing badly and hadn't shown much in terms of being able to stage a comeback.
        True. But this was Bertos showcase fight, that was the point so Im not surprised at all by the unfair stoppage.

Comment

Stoppage is a little early, but he was done. Even before Berto knocked him down the first time... You can tell it was only a matter of time.

Comment

Working...
          X