No announcement yet.

Floyd Battles with Demographics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Battles with Demographics

The aftermath of Floyd Mayweather’s virtuoso performance against Henry Bruseles left some boxing figureheads wondering why "Pretty Boy" has failed to reach a higher level of popularity among the mainstream American public.

Prior to investigating any question, one should ask, "why are we looking into this situation?" In the case of Floyd Mayweather’s limited popularity, the answer is quite simple. [details]

Originally posted by Rick Reeno
    The aftermath of Floyd Mayweather’s virtuoso performance against Henry Bruseles left some boxing figureheads wondering why "Pretty Boy" has failed to reach a higher level of popularity among the mainstream American public.

Prior to investigating any question, one should ask, "why are we looking into this situation?" In the case of Floyd Mayweather’s limited popularity, the answer is quite simple. [details]
    An excerpts of the article goes:

"If Floyd Mayweather, with his charisma and skills, were Mexican-American or a heavyweight, he would be a star guaranteed".

A good counter example is Sugar Ray Leonard which makes the conjecture collapse. The common denominator of hoya and SRL is that they were both olympic gold medalists who captured the american public imagination since their amature days.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo
      An excerpts of the article goes:

"If Floyd Mayweather, with his charisma and skills, were Mexican-American or a heavyweight, he would be a star guaranteed".

A good counter example is Sugar Ray Leonard which makes the conjecture collapse. The common denominator of hoya and SRL is that they were both olympic gold medalists who captured the american public imagination since their amature days.
      nope a "good counterexample" would be an american boxer in the lower weight classes who is popular NOW. Did you read the article?

the fact used to explain is that NOW the only casual fans of boxing interested in lower weight bouts are latinoamerican, who, being only casual fans, look for fighters or the same ethnicity.

so SRL won his medal almost 30 years ago, not NOW or in the past 10 years, so he is not a "good counterexample"

anyway I think another problem with mayweather is that his style is not the most intriguing to th casual fan.

Comment

i think its just his style of fight... and he be dodging opponents too... and hes cocky... did you guys see the fight when he answered lampley... twice... that was funnie...

Comment

Mayweather

The problem with Mayweather and other Black fighters is there arrogance.
          It has nothing to do with there fighting styles. Mayweather is just too cocky for his own good.

Comment

Do you honestly think arrogance precludes popularity? On the contrary, especially in boxing, I think fans can appreciate a fighter's brashness.

Are you gonna tell me that the arrogance of Ali and Leonard hindered their respective popularity? Hamed was awfully popular for a time, and maybe the cockiest fighter I've ever seen. And Tyson wasn't arrogant back in the day, lol?

Thus, I'm not so sure your blanket statement stands up to even superficial scrutiny.

By the way, why do you have to pull out the race card? Only blacks have an arrogant disposition? I think many people here might take issue with this arguably racist proclamation.

Comment

none of this matters if he beats on a good show against Gatti and Zoo he will get lots of new fans.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute
                nope a "good counterexample" would be an american boxer in the lower weight classes who is popular NOW. Did you read the article?

the fact used to explain is that NOW the only casual fans of boxing interested in lower weight bouts are latinoamerican, who, being only casual fans, look for fighters or the same ethnicity.

so SRL won his medal almost 30 years ago, not NOW or in the past 10 years, so he is not a "good counterexample"

anyway I think another problem with mayweather is that his style is not the most intriguing to th casual fan.
                Sorry cause I'm not an american have never been to america. You think the psyche of american boxing fans has change in the last 10 or 20 years? You think if SRL appears to the american public NOW by wiining a gold medal in the 2004 olympic, he would suffer the same fate as PBF?
                Stop accusing me of not reading cause I'm stating a fact which is feasibe to use as a couter example.

Comment

I'm sorry but its not because he is an African-American. Lets face it his fight against Corley has been his most exciting to date.

All the other ones he was running around the ring jabbing his opponent to death and occasionally landing a right hand. If he puts his opponents to sleep with his style imagine the TV watching audience.

Charisma and charm? If that means cocky and self-gratifying then yeah he is full of that.

The fact of the matter is if he had engaged in a back and forth War like Morales and Barrera it wouldnt matter if he weighed 122lbs. He would have a much bigger fan base then what he has now. It's his boring style, and cockyness. Thats it.

Comment

Why is " Ugly Boy " Floyd having a hard time winning fans? The answers are plain and simple, first off he's a " studio gangster " and he does a bad job being one, 2nd w/ all the talent on his side he should give out more fireworks(volume of punches, see MAB - PAC), ala RJJ back in the day.....

Comment

Working...
                    X