No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jhonny Gonzalez Eyes March Return, Hopes For Mares

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jhonny Gonzalez Eyes March Return, Hopes For Mares

World Boxing Council (WBC) featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez (57-8. 48KOs) is looking to return on a date in March, in the United States, and is ready for a very big year in a very hot division loaded with talent.

Some names have been kicked around for Gonzalez's next opponent, including Abner Mares and Gary Russell Jr. Gonzalez is ready to rematch Mares and says the second clash is overdue. Gonzalez stopped Mares in the first round in August 2013 in what many saw as a major upset. A rematch was set and postponed a few times after Mares became injured.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I really hope that Mares doesn't get a title against Johnny. Featherweight seems like a very good division right now and champions are actually willing to face each other. No need for a Haymon fighter becoming a champion and lock down the belt for years with fighting against bums or just other Haymon fighters in a division which lacks of other good quality fighters drom his stable. Please no, just no.

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post
      No need for a Haymon fighter becoming a champion
      Isn't Mares one of the few GBP fighters who didn't sign with Haymon?

Comment

It's a disgrace all these fighters wanting to fight only for the money and having zero competitive ambition of wanting to prove they're the best and clean out their division. Why the hell is abner mares the first thing on your mind when you already KOd him in the first round and there's other good champions in your division who you still haven't faced? Lost respect for gonzalez right here. Maybe he's confident that he doesn't have a chance against them lol.

Comment

regardless of the "rib" injury, Mares has done zip to ear a title shot...I hope JG gets all the $$ he can, he earned it...was on the short end of the $$ stick 2 long...

Comment

I thought this coward was going to fight Walters?after all **** he talks now he chicken out?nobody want to see Mares vs Gonzales its clear Gonzales won !

Comment

There is rarely ever any need to pursue a rematch of a fighter you ko'd in 1.

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
                Isn't Mares one of the few GBP fighters who didn't sign with Haymon?
                No. That list is VERY small if i'm not mistaken. Like, it consists of Canelo, Hopkins, Rosado, Herrera. The rest are upstarts like Randy Caballero, Sadam Ali, etc.

As for Jhonny, I think they'll keep Mares away from him.

Comment

Gonzalez/Waters is the only fight out there @ 126Lb!

Comment

Gonzalez wants the rematch more than Mares does. I can see Gonzalez vs Russell happening and Russell getting paid more than Gonzalez. Thanks to the great advisor Al Haymon.

Comment

Working...
                    X