No announcement yet.

Lacy Down, Kessler Next For Calzaghe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacy Down, Kessler Next For Calzaghe?

Many ‘experts’ have been eager to find a reason for Jeff Lacy’s comprehensive defeat by a brilliant Joe Calzaghe, the main stateside one being that the Tampa slugger wasn’t all that he was talked up to being. That doesn’t wash particularly well with me, given the improvements of Lacy’s speed, flexibility and punch repertoire that allowed him to flatten the rock jawed Robin Reid last August.

No, I can think of plenty of reasons. In fact, there are over 1000 of them, if the punch stats confided by ITV presenter Jim Rosenthal to the unified 168-lb champion are to be trusted. That’s how many shots Calzaghe threw in Lacy’s direction, delivered with stunning speed and variety, and blended seamlessly with a mastery of ring space and a clever, instinctive defense.

We’re all aware of what Lacy can do when given his way.

Joe Calzaghe, who added Lacy’s IBF title to the WBO belt he’s held since 1997, fought a masterful, passionate fight, and I’m glad to say I told you he’d win. Despite early doubts, as the fight approached I leaned toward Joe, knowing that as much as he fights down to the no hopers, he performs up to the tough cookies. “What better a fighter than the ferocious Lacy to inspire, or demand, Calzaghe’s best?” Indeed. [details]

I hope Joe Calzaghe will fight Kessler but i doubt,i think Calzaghe will go to LH and fight Antonio Tarver or Roy Jones Jr

Comment

He definately needs to fight Jones Jr next, because he needs the money now
      (his ex-wife gets 50% of his earnings, so Joe needs to secure his life with big paydays against Jones and Tarver).

Comment

Liked this quote from the article:

...the current number one light heavyweight (Tarver) and the fallen great (Jones) being in various stages of erosion. With a young, talented super middleweight rival in Mikkel Kessler, it would be a terrible waste if Calzaghe didn’t take on the WBA titlist, from Denmark.
        Unfortunately money issue will make sure Calzaghe-Kessler is not gonna happen.
        If Kessler was just another walkover - sure he'd be usable as a warm-up fight, adding an extra belt in the process. But Calzaghe/Warren knows Kessler is not that easy.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4795400.stm

Looks like RJJ is on the horizon for JC

Comment

Hard to say who'd win this one.....both seem equally skilled, it's probably end up a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by JuicyJuice
              (his ex-wife gets 50% of his earnings, so Joe needs to secure his life with big paydays against Jones and Tarver).
              Are you sure about that? Calzaghe said he was going to retire if that turned out to be the case. I thought he got away with paying her a lump sum.

Comment

Originally posted by thesiberianexpress
                Are you sure about that? Calzaghe said he was going to retire if that turned out to be the case. I thought he got away with paying her a lump sum.
                You are right mate...

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0700s...name_page.html

"Joe has had a tough couple of years, fighting a divorce and custody battle with his former wife. He even threatened to hang up his gloves if Mandy had been awarded a percentage of his future earnings.

But that was settled back in September with a rumoured £2m deal and both Mandy and Joe, who share custody of their children, have moved on."

Comment

Originally posted by jangeorg
                  I hope Joe Calzaghe will fight Kessler but i doubt,i think Calzaghe will go to LH and fight Antonio Tarver or Roy Jones Jr
                  I also fear that you are right about Calzaghe going to LH and not trying to clean SM (the part that is possible). I think the fight against Kessler would be much better than a fight against a former great Roy Jones. But i guess that he will earn a lot more fighting Jones and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Shot
                    I also fear that you are right about Calzaghe going to LH and not trying to clean SM (the part that is possible). I think the fight against Kessler would be much better than a fight against a former great Roy Jones. But i guess that he will earn a lot more fighting Jones and the like.
                    It's more than possible for JC to become king at LH. Jones Jr is past it, likewise Tarver and Johnson are getting on abit and no-one else poses a real threat IMO. It would be nice for Joe to clear up at 168 first but he has more that the beating of most, if not all the light heavyweight...

Comment

Working...
                    X