Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kurt Ward on Cruiserweight: Boxing's ginger stepchild?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kurt Ward on Cruiserweight: Boxing's ginger stepchild?

On March 31, 1980 American TV network ABC covered four world championship fights from three different locations (Larry Holmes facing Leroy Jones from Nevada, Sugar Ray Leonard against Dave Green from Maryland and two fights from Knoxville as John Tate challenged Mike Weaver, and Marvin Johnson went up against Eddie Mustafa Muhammad).

On the Vegas card, along with Thomas Hearns and Alexis Arguello, was a WBC title rematch of a controversial draw which had taken place in modern day Croatia—then Yugosalvia—three months prior. This rematch wouldn't be shown on TV yet it is this bout that would secure Marvin Camel's name in history.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Cruiserweight needs KO artist who will fight out of the USA and refuse to go to HW, to generate money and interest in the division.

Comment

I didn't read this article. Just the title.
      "Boxing's Ginger Stepchild." What a crass and stupidly offensive phrase for a professional writer to use. Hang your head in shame Kurt Ward, whoever - or whatever - you are.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        "Boxing's Ginger Stepchild." What a crass and stupidly offensive phrase for a professional writer to use. Hang your head in shame Kurt Ward, whoever - or whatever - you are.
        Some of the best fighters of all time have come from Cruiserweight.

This guy is moronic.

It's a weight class nothing more. The best fighter at that weight will win it, simple. And with a very broad range of 25lbs, there is LESS possibility of moving up or down successfully than any lower division moving upward and competing in it on paper.

Comment

It's actually a very good article, read it all and you may agree.

Comment

Well, there's your problem. The article is actually praising the cruiserweight division, but the title is obviously reflecting the way many fight fans sadly view it. You look very silly with that post. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
              It's actually a very good article, read it all and you may agree.
              lol I think he's objecting to the notion that ginger people and step-children are somehow unwanted lesser beings.

Comment

Another solid write up from Kurt. Cruiserweight is a very underrated weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
                  Some of the best fighters of all time have come from Cruiserweight.

This guy is moronic.

It's a weight class nothing more. The best fighter at that weight will win it, simple. And with a very broad range of 25lbs, there is LESS possibility of moving up or down successfully than any lower division moving upward and competing in it on paper.
                  Originally posted by Knightmare View Post
                  Well, there's your problem. The article is actually praising the cruiserweight division, but the title is obviously reflecting the way many fight fans sadly view it. You look very silly with that post. Well done.
                  I didn’t mean it was offensive towards cruiserweights, but you two taking it that way made me LMFAO, and I mean literally LMFAO, so thanks for that fellas. Real laughter is good for the soul.

I meant that it was offensive towards red-haired people. “Gingers” as some like to call them nowadays. Red or ginger hair is part of a person’s genetic heritage, the same as black or brown skin, frizzy hair, or folds of skin over the eyes. Nobody should be allowed to get away with denigrating other people because of their genetic heritage. That's racism, get it?

How would people take it if this writer had referred to cruiserweights as "the nappy-haired stepchild”? Or “the slant-eyed step-child”?

Picking on red-haired people to mock and denigrate them in this way originated among racist white Americans. They got so accustomed to sneering and looking down their noses at other ethnic groups that once it was no longer ok do that with blacks, hispanics or asians – not in public at least - they had to invent another ethnic minority, this time from among members of their own race, just to give themselves somebody to mock and feel superior to.

Kurt probably doesn’t get it and just used that racist phrase - which is what it is - without thinking about it. That’s why I’m calling him out on it now.

Comment

I didn’t mean it was offensive towards cruiserweights, but you two taking it that way made me LMFAO, and I mean literally LMFAO, so thanks for that fellas. Real laughter is good for the soul.

I meant that it was offensive towards red-haired people. “Gingers” as some like to call them nowadays. Red or ginger hair is part of a person’s genetic heritage, the same as black or brown skin, frizzy hair, or folds of skin over the eyes. Nobody should be allowed to get away with denigrating other people because of their genetic heritage. That's racism, get it?

How would people take it if this writer had referred to cruiserweights as "the nappy-haired stepchild”? Or “the slant-eyed step-child”?

Picking on red-haired people to mock and denigrate them in this way originated among racist white Americans. They got so accustomed to sneering and looking down their noses at other ethnic groups that once it was no longer ok do that with blacks, hispanics or asians – not in public at least - they had to invent another ethnic minority, this time from among members of their own race, just to give themselves somebody to mock and feel superior to.

Kurt probably doesn’t get it and just used that racist phrase - which is what it is - without thinking about it. That’s why I’m calling him out on it now.

Has your tampon fell out? It's a saying you stupid ginger prick

Go check out your Oxford dictionary. It should be right next to your Sun cream.

Comment

Working...
                    X