No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin vs. Rubio: BoxingScene.com Staff Predictions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Golovkin vs. Rubio: BoxingScene.com Staff Predictions

Fans have turned out in droves for the West Coast debut of Gennady Golovkin. The flame-throwing puncher from Kazakhstan faces Mexico's Marco Antonio Rubio in front of a sold-out, Standing-Room-Only crowd at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

Golovkin (30-0, 27KOs) is widely viewed as the future and present of the middleweight division. His all-action style has led to knockout wins in all 12 of his middleweight title fights heading into Saturday evening, having stopped his past 17 opponents overall.

The showdown with Rubio marks Golovkin’s 6th appearance on HBO (Saturday, 10:00 p.m. ET), quickly emerging as the face of the network as he expands his brand name in the United States. His most recent win came in July, scoring a one-sided third round stoppage of former middleweight titlist Daniel Geale in New York City.

Rubio (59-6-1, 51KOs) makes his third attempt at a middleweight title. The Mexican puncher has come up well short in bids versus Kelly Pavlik – knocked out in nine rounds in Feb. ’09 – and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr – dropping a decision in Feb. ’12.

Few gave Rubio much of a chance of winning against the unbeaten Golovkin, placed as high as 60-1 by some oddsmakers. Those dismal chances appeared to have disappeared following his follies at the scales, showing up nearly two pounds over the limit – already looking soft – and refusing to shed the extra weight, instead paying a $100,000 fine.

The two sides reached a deal in order to allow the fight to go on, with Rubio forced to vacate his interim middleweight belt at the scales. Golovkin remains eligible to win the title, while his own alphabet belt is not at stake since Rubio is overweight.

The only significance that comes with the interim title is that the winner will be named mandatory challenger to World lineal middleweight king Miguel Cotto.

Read on to see how the staff at Boxingscene.com believes Saturday’s middleweight action goes down at the StubHub Center. [Click Here To Read More]

team rubio

Comment

Does that Jake Dononvan guy really run this site? He sounds like HanzGobbler or Fetta or one of the rest of the Floyd fanboys on NSB.

Abusing Donaire for 'quitting' in the other prediction article and calling Golovkin-Rubio a 'stain on the sport' in this one.

Then when Garcia fought Salka he wrote an article questioning the fans who criticised it as a farce because Showtime got decent ratings - http://www.boxingscene.com/-protest-...viewers--80963

And there I was going all the way to Fight Hype for my impartial analysis like some idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        Does that Jake Dononvan guy really run this site? He sounds like HanzGobbler or Fetta or one of the rest of the Floyd fanboys on NSB.

Abusing Donaire for 'quitting' in the other prediction article and calling Golovkin-Rubio a 'stain on the sport' in this one.

Then when Garcia fought Salka he wrote an article questioning the fans who criticised it as a farce because Showtime got decent ratings - http://www.boxingscene.com/-protest-...viewers--80963

And there I was going all the way to Fight Hype for my impartial analysis like some idiot.
        Jake Donovan has one of the best prediction scores of anyone on bscene.

He's the managing editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post

The "stain on the sport" reference was Rubio missing weight by nearly two pounds, not the matchup itself. I'm probably one of the few who looked forward to the fight, prior to Friday's weigh-in. I even did a full feature on Rubio last week, and have been covering his career for more than a decade.

As for the rest... not seeing your argument. I'm far from the only person who thought Donaire was quick to seek the exit against Vetyeka, and Garcia-Salka ratings didn't at all match the industry's suggested protest against that ****show.

Comment

Working...
          X