No announcement yet.

Augustus Keeps Plugging Away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augustus Keeps Plugging Away

Emanuel Augustus (32-25-6, 17 KOs) will return to the ring this Friday night (6PM ET) as part of a televised fight card to be featured on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights. This time out he faces the rugged Mexican journeyman, Arturo Morua (22-7-1, 13 KOs).

Augustus, 31, is a fan favorite known as much for his antics and ring dancing as he is for his boxing skills, which are considerable. He’s a fighter with good hand speed, quick combinations, great footwork and excellent ring movement.

There are 25 losses on his record, but he’s very tough opponent and almost always loses by decision. Of his 25 losses only 3 have been by knockout and two of those were against elite fighters (Floyd Mayweather and Jesus Chavez). Augustus only won 6 fights in a row once, and those six wins were in his first six fights. Since then he’s lost four in a row on two occasions. This fight on Friday will be Augustus’ 2nd fight so far this year.

In his last fight one month ago, Augustus scored a dramatic 10th round knockout of Jamie Rangel, the tough 140-pounder who is best known for getting knocked out in one round by Zab Judah. Before the Rangel tiff, in October 2005, Augustus lost a close, reportedly controversial decision to Montreal’s Hermann Ngoudjo in a NABF 140-pound title fight that took place in Ngoudjo’s hometown. [details]

IN today's world of boxing with right handerlers he should of been a wold champ.He seems to be a poor mans Gatti.Remenber the Ward fight.

Comment

Augustus can always beat up on the up-and-comers or the middle men, but he's never been able to take that step to the top. Every time he steps up into the upper echelon of fighters, he loses.

So I suppose beating middle men on Friday Night Fights is what he should do.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWayne
        IN today's world of boxing with right handerlers he should of been a wold champ.He seems to be a poor mans Gatti.Remenber the Ward fight.
        Yeah, he definitely fought the wrong fight against Ward, and he did a good job of proving his point, even though Ward got the nod.
        The thing with him is that he doesn't have to do that, he can fight most any style he wants with his natural talent. I just wish he was as focused in every fight as he was in the Oliviera fight. Almost seems like wasted talent to me.

Comment

ALMOST seems like wasted talent? It is exactly wasted talent. I personally am a big fan of Augustus and hope he can get in a few big performances and big paydays before he calls it quits, but if he had always taken his career seriously for every fight, he'd have gone so much further.

Comment

Originally posted by geminitp
            Augustus can always beat up on the up-and-comers or the middle men, but he's never been able to take that step to the top. Every time he steps up into the upper echelon of fighters, he loses.

And what do you think Gatti is doing right now and he is all most lined up for a shot.It's just he has a name.I bet you he would not fight a guy of Augustus statis who will take a fight on 2 weeks notice.

Comment

Originally posted by geminitp

almost every top fighter he's faced has been on short notice. that's a big part in Augustus's loss column. he fights guys at the drop of a hat. he's always ready and always walking around close to his fight weight, so if an opponent is needed, he steps in and fights.

give Augustus proper time to train for one certain opponent and he'll beat them. the man has serious skills, but he also too much fun in the ring and plays around too much. i guess if me career had gone the way his has I'd be messin around in the ring too.

I like the fact that he does have fun in the ring, but what I like most is how he lets the negative bull**** in boxing roll off his back like nothing.

Augustus deserves a pay day and a shot at a title, the only thing is, is that with his record and always fighting in some else's backyard the judges will screw him at any chance they get. to them they don't care he has 20+ losses another one won't effect him, but their hometown fighter is undefeated and losing to a guy with that kind of record would hurt their prospect pretty bad, so they give it to their little baby and Augustus gets screwed. or they have the ref screw him in some sort of fashion. be it DQ'ing Augustus or taking points away for absolutely nothing. i.e. the burton fight where the ref took a point away from Augustus for spinning himself out of a clinch and the ref said that he spun Burton around, which there was no warning before the point taken away. plus the ref was all over him from the get go, you could tell it was local favortism something Augustus has faced his whole career and never let it bother him at least not in public.

with all his joking aside Augustus is a twist to the throw back fighter when fighters fought and fought often and didn't let a loss keep them down.

i wish him luck this friday i hope he wins and gets a fair shake from the officials who are involved with the fight......

Comment

FYI, the actual article on the main page that this forum archive came from was updated to correct an error...

the Augustus-Morua fight will NOT be on ESPN2 this Friday, There is no Friday Night Fights this Friday.

Comment

Working...
                X