No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr Claims Free Agent Status, Top Rank Disagrees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr Claims Free Agent Status, Top Rank Disagrees

Former middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. believes he is a promotional free agent and capable of negotiating to involve himself in potential fights. The Mexican star claims his contract with Top Rank expired at the end of September.

"I have been told that my contract has already ended, [it ended] the last day of September. We will see what comes," Chavez said. "I have offers to fight Carl Froch in the United States and England, to fight the winner of Gennady Golovkin and Marco Antonio Rubio, even to fight at 158 ​​pounds with Floyd Mayweather. Let's see what comes.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Well, you can file Chavez Jr in the same folder as Ward, Kirkland, and Mikey.

Comment

Chavez Jr. vs. Froch is my preference from a purely entertainment perspective.

Comment

So Chaves is right his contract is up, but top rank fileing a lawsuit to keep him under contract. Which will take time. How ever right now Chaves should be able to do what he wants. It's not his fault the promoter never got him a fight, that's the promoters job. Can't expect someone to sign a new contract every fight. Chaves is smarter than most.

Comment

Chavez Jr should have just taken the Gennady fight when he had the chance and finished his contract. It would've been a great fight, he would've made great money, finished his contract, pleased the fans, and wouldn't be in this unnecessary mess.

Comment

Originally posted by [T][B][E] View Post
            So Chaves is right his contract is up, but top rank fileing a lawsuit to keep him under contract. Which will take time. How ever right now Chaves should be able to do what he wants. It's not his fault the promoter never got him a fight, that's the promoters job. Can't expect someone to sign a new contract every fight. Chaves is smarter than most.
            Well, they did get him a fight though, and without a contract extension but he wanted more money for it. With PPV upside he was expected to get $3 - 3.5 mil to fight GGG with no extension (which is about what he got to fight Maravilla).

If he turned down a legitimate offer then I'd say he's not fulfilled his contractual obligations.

And while I've not met the kid, he never struck me as being 'smarter than most' - I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
              Chavez Jr should have just taken the Gennady fight when he had the chance and finished his contract. It would've been a great fight, he would've made great money, finished his contract, pleased the fans, and wouldn't be in this unnecessary mess.
              wouldn't work out that way, who ever his last fight would be Arum would make him have to sign a new contract. So that's why Chaves didn't fight anyone. Arum even tried to strong arm him send corrupt Mexican cops to his family home to get him to sign. He's trully a p.o.s

Comment

wouldn't work out that way, who ever his last fight would be Arum would make him have to sign a new contract. So that's why Chaves didn't fight anyone. Arum even tried to strong arm him send corrupt Mexican cops to his family home to get him to sign. He's trully a p.o.s
                This is not true, TopRank presented Chavez Jr with the option of taking the fight without a contract extension, nobody tried strong arming anyone into anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                  Well, they did get him a fight though, and without a contract extension but he wanted more money for it. With PPV upside he was expected to get $3 - 3.5 mil to fight GGG with no extension (which is about what he got to fight Maravilla).

If he turned down a legitimate offer then I'd say he's not fulfilled his contractual obligations.

And while I've not met the kid, he never struck me as being 'smarter than most' - I could be wrong though.
                  He wouldn't care now technically he is a free agent. His contract is up, regardless if he had one fight. Otherwise he would be on contact for life. Lol it's the promoters job to get the fight without side extensions, fighters are not slaves.

Comment

He wouldn't care now technically he is a free agent. His contract is up, regardless if he had one fight. Otherwise he would be on contact for life. Lol it's the promoters job to get the fight without side extensions, fighters are not slaves.
                    Now their asking to extend to 2016 for what? 1 fight? Lmao

Comment

Working...
                    X