No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Week That Was: Canelo, Eubank-Saunders, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: The Week That Was: Canelo, Eubank-Saunders, More

Stephen Espinoza, head of boxing at Showtime, was not very happy at the start of the week after seeing Mexican star Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, 44-1-1 (31 KOs), depart Showtime and cross the street to rival network HBO. Canelo's rumoured first fight back on HBO after a two year absence will be Joshua Clottey.

In speaking to Rick Reeno of BoxingScene.com, Espinoza said: "We didn't view Clottey as a credible opponent."

This is the man who green lit mismatches like Danny Garcia-Rod Salka, Lamont Peterson-Edgar Santana, Danny Jacobs-Jarrod Fletcher, Andre Berto-Steve Upsher Chambers, Leo Santa Cruz-Manuel Roman and Peter Quillin-Lukas Konecny. Would anyone view these fighters as credible opponents? In fact, did the opponents win a round combined?
    [Click Here To Read More]

Re Saunders vs Eubank Jr - this isn't the first time Frank Warren has jumped the gun like that and ended up looking silly.
    Last year he announced that Deontay Wilder was coming to the UK to fight Derek Chisora and called a press conference at which they were both supposed to appear.
    Wilder/Chisora never happened. Hopefully, Saunders/Eubank Jr will. Eventually.

Comment

This article looks likes a blatant copy of them lads from boxtalk youtube.com/watch?v=hjZNLuh3Q7s

Comment

Good article, I liked the points made regarding Showtime's Stephen Espinoza's comments.

Comment

Originally posted by cognacjones View Post
          This article looks likes a blatant copy of them lads from boxtalk youtube.com/watch?v=hjZNLuh3Q7s
          And I'm sure you have no connection to that YT channel :lol:

It's not even a little bit the same except that both talk about the week in boxing. Similarities essentially end there.

I enjoyed this piece and appreciated the writer shining the spotlight on Espinoza's BS. He approves piles of garbage as long as it's Al's garbage (Garcia-Salka, LOL)

Comment

Clotty is Mike Tyson, Mohammad Ali and George Foreman rolled into one compared to Rod Salka.

Comment

I thought the BBBofC had ordered a BJS vs John Ryder rematch.

Comment

Working...
              X