Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather-Maidana II Highest Selling PPV Event of 2014

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mayweather-Maidana II Highest Selling PPV Event of 2014

It was a rematch that wasn’t in high demand. The supporting cast paled miserably—on paper—in comparison to the undercard for the first fight in May. A sea of bad publicity preceded a Pay-Per-View show that demanded upwards of $75 from subscribers wishing to watch in High Definition.

Yet the sequel between Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana managed to surpass their more anticipated bout in May in becoming the most watched PPV event of 2014.

Cable and satellite tracking trends are suggesting a projection of 925,000 units sold for the September 13 show, in which Mayweather (47-0, 26KOs) scored a unanimous decision to remain lineal champion at both welterweight and super welterweight. The bout was less competitive than the first fight in May, which many have called the toughest of Mayweather’s Hall of Fame career.

Representatives from Showtime declined comment when asked for confirmation of the projected total. The network announced following Mayweather-Maidana I that it would no longer release pay-per-view totals unless an event produced record-breaking or earth shattering numbers.

The 925,000 projection would mark an improvement of at least 25,000 buys from the May 3 event, which—while never truly confirmed—racked up in the neighborhood of 900,000 buys.

News of the projected numbers was first reported by Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports. [Click Here To Read More]

"projected numbers".... So there ARE no numbers, officially.

Comment

Ppv numbers don't matter, unless arum says so

Comment

Happy new years fellas, 2014 officially over..in September.

Comment

repost:

where are all those people who were telling me that no one wanted to see this fight and Floyd had no options. Where are the one's saying there is no way in hell Maidana 2 could sell anything close to a Chavez-Froch or a Canelo-Cotto fight. Lets see them do 925where are all those people who were telling me that no one wanted to see this fight and Floyd had no options. Where are the one's saying there is no way in hell Maidana 2 could sell anything close to a Chavez-Froch or a Canelo-Cotto fight. Lets see pull 925

Comment

The numbers are still crap for the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
              Happy new years fellas, 2014 officially over..in September.
              hahaha good one!

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                repost:

where are all those people who were telling me that no one wanted to see this fight and Floyd had no options. Where are the one's saying there is no way in hell Maidana 2 could sell anything close to a Chavez-Froch or a Canelo-Cotto fight. Lets see them do 925where are all those people who were telling me that no one wanted to see this fight and Floyd had no options. Where are the one's saying there is no way in hell Maidana 2 could sell anything close to a Chavez-Froch or a Canelo-Cotto fight. Lets see pull 925

Comment

Funny how fast numbers come out when they do better then expected but no solid numbers come when fights bomb....I watched the fight with friends for $10 a guy as usual with every pay per view and will do the same for the. Manny fight. It's gonna be like January till we hear any numbers on that one lol....

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
                    Posted this in the other thread.

If my memory serves me correct... Floyd-Oscar was $55 And this fight was $75.

That's a 36% increase in revenue per buy.

Which means if we put it on the same scale, Mayweather-Maidana pulled in around 1.258M PPV buys worth of revenue based on a $55 buy rate.
                    I feel you, but the only problem is that there are no "official" numbers. So all anyone can do at this point is speculate. Whether its $75 or $55, the numbered "buys" is what matters.

Comment

Working...
                    X