Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Mayweather Won Mayhem Before It Began

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Mayweather Won Mayhem Before It Began

by David P. Greisman - The result of the second fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana was decided in part before the first one was even over.

Mayweather’s strategy for the rematch was founded in the opening three minutes of that May 3 main event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, when Maidana pressured Mayweather to the ropes and began an onslaught of hard shots that looped from out wide and up high, hammering away with thudding blows upstairs and below, wailing away with punches and forearms that occasionally hit Mayweather in the back of his head.

His approach was borne out of the adjustments made over the course of those 12 rounds, as Mayweather began to limit the frequency and effectiveness of those barrages. He moved more to establish distance, clinched when he couldn’t, made Maidana fight going backward, boxed better and landing more clean leads, combinations and counters down the stretch.

The result of Mayweather-Maidana 2 was also decided in the 19 weeks since.

Mayweather pushed himself harder in training, knowing he needed to use his footwork to keep off the ropes and prevent Maidana from trapping him and catching him. He planned to negate Maidana’s relentless wildness with grabbing and holding, just as Devon Alexander had gotten away with doing against Maidana back in early 2012. [Click Here To Read More]

Ms Jackson is a scank looking to get paid. .. why should showtime air that news. So every time a good digging scank accuses someone of domestic violence, the accused needs to be ridiculed for something that might not of happened?

Comment

Biased writer. pathetic. Maidana was robbed again

Comment

This wasn't even a fight, it was a rigged sparring session with pillows, and FLoyds best friend as the ref.

Maidana put a hurt on FLoyd in the end of the round, with FLoyds favorite sparring gloves, i lol'ed

Comment

Almost forgot, boxing fans are getting short changed. So many restrictions on the main event: pillows, ring, ref, it made it even less competitive. Add the horrible undercard, this isn't ESPN Fight Night WTH?. Tell Haymon/GBP to pad their fighters records on regular TV. This was suppose to be a "Big Event" for boxing, it was humiliating having to see this card from start to finish, boxing fans got 0 value out of this rigged card.

Even with the active Fans who do complain, it is not enough.
          Journalist need to help too, get on promoters faces, grill them about this BS.

Whats next ? Pacquiao vs ALigeri? man just hope the undercard is good.
          Last edited by ElMeroChingon; 09-15-2014, 03:29 AM. Reason: adding a bit i forgot

Comment

Excellent strategy of Floyd's part, Chino and Robert had no answers once they knew that it's a boxing match and not some MMA slugfest. This fight reminds me of the second Ali/Spinks fight.... But as usual haters are going to hate even if Floyd would've knocked Chino out..... As I continue to say "Americans love a winner so long as that winner isn't black".......

Comment

Man STFU

Originally posted by budfr View Post
              Biased writer. pathetic. Maidana was robbed again
              If he was robbed why didn't you call the police? Oh yeah falsifying a police report is a crime and we know you wouldn't last one night in jail. Ain't that right fresh fish??????

Comment

You all crack me up, Maidana wasn't robbed, number 1, Team Maidana had a horrible game plan, let me repeat HORRIBLE. Compared to the first fight, they should have stuck with that, at least with the weight difference Maidana was able to literally bully Floyd around the ring. 2. Kenny Bayless has nothing to do with Floyd Mayweather, you all who are looking for excuses on why Maidana lost and blaming it on Floyd and Kenny are the dumbest boxing fans in this world today.

Social Media and the Sports Media are the people who kept this story in they eyes of the fans since the 1st fight. Besides, even Tony Weeks stated after the first fight he should have deducted a point from Maidana.

So he was robbed? A fighter who CANT ADAPT TO OTHER STYLES IS NOT A GREAT FIGHTER! PERIOD! To be the best you have to beat the best, Maidana came no where close even in the first fight to beating the best. Difference with Floyd is, he knows how to adapt to any style, Maidana does not, and apparently neither does Robert Garcia. How the hell do you not teach your man how to cut the ring off when you know exactly what Floyd is going to do the 2nd fight?!

I will say this for the Maidana fans, if the punch at the end of round 3 landed at the beginning, it would have been a different fight. Also, Broner to me is more rugged and tough than Floyd, Floyd was worried about the power Maidana possesss, plain and simple and I'm a HUGE Mayweather fan, you could easily tell in his eyes when he was on the ropes in the 2nd fight. Also, the punch at the end of the 3rd, I'm pretty sure broke Floyd's nose, you will notice how much larger and enflamed his nose is after that punch which could have had an effect on him throughout the fight if he wasn't able to breath through his nose, and also taking punches from Maidana with a broken nose can't be much fun............All in all, Garcia and Maidana shuld have watched the 2nd Castillo fight, I knew what Flyod was going to do, I'm sure most knew what he was going to do.......If you can't adapt and change the fight, then you don't deserve to win it

Comment

Devon Alexander had already laid out the blueprint to beating Maidana. For some reason Floyd completely ignored it in the first fight(My guess, to prove that he can be entertaining). Anyone with the slightest knowledge of boxing and some common sense knew Floyd would stay off the ropes and use the ring more this time and win even easier.

Comment

IMO a very poor undercard, surprised @ how easily Soto handled Molina...Garcia needs 2 stop reading his press clippings, seemed as if MM had no strategy & did/could not adjust...but @ least giving James DLR air time 4 the future 2 c what he really has vs a better rival...Thought the Italian judge, Cavalieri, had it 2 close at 7-5, mayb NVSAC needs 2 stop bringing in out of state/country...look @ FM's last bout there when Pernick scored it a draw...where's the concentration & experience these judges are supposed 2 have?? It's not there...Bayless did not do his normal excellent job w/the holding...Bey I thought won so 2 me Byrd was of 3 rounds & Hoyle was n outer space w/his...Byrd's been coming in w/some off scores, time 4 her & Hoyle 2 sit for a few months b4 she becomes another CJ Ross...

Comment

Working...
                    X