No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Weekend Recap; Press Row in Miami a Vast Wasteland

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Weekend Recap; Press Row in Miami a Vast Wasteland

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - A few Tuesday morning musings after a big-fight weekend.

I realize a lot of folks aren’t big fans of Floyd Mayweather Jr. And there’s no doubt that “Money” has given said folks plenty of reasons over the years to feel the way they do.

But there’s a difference between having a rooting interest… and simply being an idiot.

Mixed in with the typical post-fight hilarity in the Twitter-verse on Saturday night were occasional snipes – whether intended to blast the scoring, or the lack of sustained action – lamenting that Lara fought Canelo the same way that Mayweather had when he won the PPV record-breaker last September.

And each time I saw them, my cyber-trained mind screamed one thing:

STFU.

At most, it takes about five seconds of observation to see that while both opponents clearly frustrated the Mexican to no end, the ways in which Mayweather and Lara did so were drastically different.

Mayweather, in nearly every round, stood straight in front of Alvarez and fully within punching range, but continually bedeviled him by rolling his shoulder and blocking most of the shots that came his way.

Lara, meanwhile, spent much of his 36 minutes with Canelo on the move, stopping long enough to fire off quick jabs and snapping straight lefts before getting back on the bike to offset any incoming replies. [Click Here To Read More]

STFU Mr Fitzsimmons

Comment

oh ffs fitzsimmons, you're such an unprofessional writer, why does BS still hire this fraud? bloody hell

Comment

The point is Lara landed more real punches than Canelo who spend all night fighting with the air because he is an slow potato bag. No way that the bóxer who landed more has to loose. I agree that Lara needed to do more because Canelo is a protected fighter, but this is not a justice boxing competition. He just did better than Canelo, not too much better but better and he deserved the win. Lara has no need to do the double of Canelo to win, because he just need to be better as he was. Too many people things that is fair that Canelo deserve an edge over Lara because he is an star protected and this is not fair.

Comment

I was at the American Airlines Arena in Miami for the Barthelemy-Mendez rematch, along with several Cuban Boxingscene members. I can attest to the incompetence of Iron Mike Productions, although not in the sense that Lyle did.

This event was originally supposed to take place at the Miami Beach Convention Center. About two weeks before the show, the venue was changed to the home of the Miami Heat basketball team. Bad enough you make a change like that so close to the fight, but at least spread the word the site has changed. No one said a word. It took some detective work to track down the new venue.

The fight was scheduled for a Thursday night. How often do you hear of a championship card scheduled for a weekday? Beyond the above story, the promotion was non-existent. It was so bad that Deporte Cubano USA, an entity that tracks Cuban sports, issued a statement blasting the terrible job Iron Mike Productions was doing promoting the event.

AA Arena has a seating capacity of 19,600, but only about half the seats were being offered for sale. To my eye, the turnout was pretty decent. There were a lot of attractive ladies at the event. I later heard the turnout was about 4,500. When you consider the overall poor job the production company did to promote the card, the fact the show took place on a Thursday night and the magnitude of the main event (Barthelemy-Mendez), that's not a bad turnout. But it's sad to consider that the promoters blew a chance to hit one out of the park in Miami, a town ridiculed for its "bad" fans.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            I was at the American Airlines Arena in Miami for the Barthelemy-Mendez rematch, along with several Cuban Boxingscene members. I can attest to the incompetence of Iron Mike Productions, although not in the sense that Lyle did.

This event was originally supposed to take place at the Miami Beach Convention Center. About two weeks before the show, the venue was changed to the home of the Miami Heat basketball team. Bad enough you make a change like that so close to the fight, but at least spread the word the site has changed. No one said a word. It took some detective work to track down the new venue.

The fight was scheduled for a Thursday night. How often do you hear of a championship card scheduled for a weekday? Beyond the above story, the promotion was non-existent. It was so bad that Deporte Cubano USA, an entity that tracks Cuban sports, issued a statement blasting the terrible job Iron Mike Productions was doing promoting the event.

AA Arena has a seating capacity of 19,600, but only about half the seats were being offered for sale. To my eye, the turnout was pretty decent. There were a lot of attractive ladies at the event. I later heard the turnout was about 4,500. When you consider the overall poor job the production company did to promote the card, the fact the show took place on a Thursday night and the magnitude of the main event (Barthelemy-Mendez), that's not a bad turnout. But it's sad to consider that the promoters blew a chance to hit one out of the park in Miami, a town ridiculed for its "bad" fans.
            Ya tu sabe como son las cosas. Promotion for this card was non-existant and I didn't end going because I didn't know what was the whole card. Dorticos fought Miranda and that fight was made like 2 days before the boxing card haha

I'm glad there are finally having boxing cards back at the American Airlines Arena having the card in downtown and by Bayside gives it a better turnout because before and after the fight you can find something to do. Don't understand why these promoters didn't take advantage of the Miami Heat wave these last 4 years.

One thing is for sure, women love boxing because at all the boxing cards in Miami are full of chicks that are 7's and up.

Comment

Working...
            X