No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Sees Big Career Upside in Dangerous Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo Sees Big Career Upside in Dangerous Fight

By Mark Whicker - LAS VEGAS – Nothing sells tickets and pay-per-view TV buys like a baby-faced warrior.

The problem is the damage that all those wars can do to that face.

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has a chance to become the main event of the entire boxing business, with Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao moving inevitably toward the final bell.

Admirably, he seems to know that the trip to the mountaintop is worth nothing if you don’t pack your credibility with you.

That is why Canelo keeps seeking difficult fights, instead of picking the New Mexico States of the sport. That is why Canelo is playing with fire Saturday night at the MGM Grand, when he encounters Erislandy Lara, the clever southpaw from Cuba.

Canelo’s mentor is Oscar De La Hoya, the sole force in charge of Golden Boy Promotions now that Richard Schaefer is gone. Before Canelo, De La Hoya was probably the last Rudolph Valentino of boxing, a guy who brought men and women to ringside who would never have gone there before.

You did not have to be a boxing fan to be an Oscar fan, or a Oscar critic. As De La Hoya moved up the ranks, he was knocked for taking on Rafael Ruelas, Julio Cesar Chavez and Pernell Whitaker when each former champion had little left but his name. But De La Hoya eventually fought everyone there was to fight within a reasonable weight, and carried boxing in the process. [Click Here To Read More]

i just dont see it

terrible style match up for him

watch the weight excuses flow when he loses

but props for fighting lara

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      i just dont see it

terrible style match up for him

watch the weight excuses flow when he loses

but props for fighting lara
      Gonna definately remember this comment tommorow night.

Comment

what difficult bouts has Alvarez had, other than Trout, which he nmay have loost, & Floyd...Angullo was 10 rounds of hitting a heavy bag & he won the title(vacant) from Hatton, a WW not ranked @ '54???

Give him Kirkland or Keith...

Comment

Canelo is fighting a very winnable fight, If he takes a war to Lara he KOs him.

Comment

I liked Canelo even before this fight. I like him even more now. The kid has integrity as well as balls.

Que viva Cuba y que viva Mexico!

But tonight...WAR LARA!!!

Comment

Canelo has to go out of his comfort zone and force the fight if he wants to win.

I don't see him doing that nor having the stamina to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Canelo has to go out of his comfort zone and force the fight if he wants to win.

I don't see him doing that nor having the stamina to pull it off.
                It's a tough fight to call, really; but I'm of the opinion that, unless Canelo KOs Lara (something I don't see happening at all), he'll get outboxed to a decision.

Comment

this will be the first and last Lara will earn Million of $, I have this feeling he will be dominated

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
                    Canelo is fighting a very winnable fight, If he takes a war to Lara he KOs him.
                    if he does what you are asking him to do, he will be biting more than what he can chew, the leather he will receive by forcing the fight will be very damaging and will hurt for a few weeks, he will get stopped if he choose that path...

Comment

Working...
                    X