No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: De La Hoya on Schaefer, His Demons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: De La Hoya on Schaefer, His Demons

By Robert Morales - Hall of Fame fighter and promoter Oscar De La Hoya was all smiles as he sat down with yours truly Friday in Carson, Calif. Many topics were discussed. Among them were his battle with alcohol and drugs, his induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame and the early June resignation of his longtime CEO - Richard Schaefer.

De La Hoya not long ago had a second stint in a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center. Since his first stint didn't take, we asked De La Hoya if he is finally convinced he can no longer have a drink. Not even one.

"I'm convinced 1,000 percent, a thousand percent, that I can't," he said. "That's in my heart, that's in my head. And that's why I continue do work every single day.

... That's what it is. For the rest of my life. What that means is several things.
    "I'm going to work harder than ever, I'm going to work honestly, I'm going to do what I really love doing, with passion. I'm going to have a great family life. I'm going to live life and do what I love doing. And that's boxing. I can't wait. I'm excited. I really am."
    De La Hoya also has used cocaine, but he said that was not the worst part of his ride through addiction hell.

"It was mainly alcohol," he said, when asked if it was both alcohol and cocaine. "It was bad. It was getting bad. It was ... it was ... it was bad. It got dark really fast."

De La Hoya didn't want to say exactly how long he has been sober. Only to say it was more than three months. But he knows. [Click Here To Read More]

He glossed over what he wasn't comfortable with answering. but a pretty staright forward interview.

Comment

So Mayweather is going to have to either pay GBP to step aside or pay to promote his fight September? That's interesting to say the least...

Comment

Hmmmm oscar subtly hinting at some iller shhh here. "I'm going to look at Everything" i.e. we've already seen some questionable shhhh and expect to find some more.

Comment

Oscar needs help

Comment

Wow! This was a great interview from Oscar! All class, confidence, respect for the fans, assertiveness, respect for fellow athletes and colleagues (even thd ones that do not deserve it) a stark contrast from the ghetto duck. This is what makes Oscar so successful and admirable while a certain other is despised.

Get em' Oscar! We support you!

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
              Oscar needs help
              The man demonstrated class ad humility and you say he needs help? WTF? Just because you think its cool to be a classless thug does not mean that that disgusting behavior appeals to us normal civilized human beings.

Comment

sounds like delahoya is on top of things.
                good for him. lets see some decent match ups now. with arum.

Comment

Very classy interview, glad to hear Oscar is doing well and staying positive. With that said, I hope he cancels the Danny Garcia event and puts together a decent show instead.

Comment

If you look at his career ,oscars always been like that he's always wanted to fight the best ,and it's no different as a promoter,that's one dude I believe when he says he wants to make the best fights possible.looking at his interview this past Saturday on showetime ,you have to give him props he's fkn young and has his successful company,successful boxing career ,and now in the hall of fame.thats what it's about give us boxing fans what we want and that's what he's trying to do.bye the way fresh fights don't want pac vs marquez for the 100 time just fkn saying.
                    Last edited by Realboxingfan1; 06-26-2014, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X