No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ponce De Leon Confirms Retirement Following KO Loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ponce De Leon Confirms Retirement Following KO Loss

Plenty of fighters have reneged on an in-ring promise to call it a career after a defeat. But after two more days to officially reflect back on Saturday’s knockout loss to Miguel Roman, former two-division champ Daniel Ponce de Leon decided the statement he made during his post-fight interview is in fact the right – and final – call.

A former titlist in two weight classes, Ponce de Leon exits the sport with a pro record of 45-7 (35KO) following 13 years in service. The 34-year old southpaw also proudly served as a member of the Mexico Olympic Boxing squad during the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
    [Click Here To Read More]

He had a good career, he beat johnny gonzalez..

Comment

Originally posted by drenlou View Post
      He had a good career, he beat johnny gonzalez..
      He was a real warrior and gave us very entertaining fights. IMO he actually defeated Broner even when he had to climb to an upper division. However, the last 2 loses by KO is a clear indication that his best years are gone and I really applaud his decision to retire now. I think he is already a commentator for ESPN FNF in Spanish. Thanks for the good moments and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by cabalas View Post
        He was a real warrior and gave us very entertaining fights. IMO he actually defeated Broner even when he had to climb to an upper division. However, the last 2 loses by KO is a clear indication that his best years are gone and I really applaud his decision to retire now. I think he is already a commentator for ESPN FNF in Spanish. Thanks for the good moments and good luck!
        Fox Deportes. It's in the last line of my article!

I agree, he's retiring at the right time. I gave him some slack after the Juanma rematch - if anything, it showed how far gone both fighters were. Roman fight was the perfect barometer to determine whether or not he should stick around. To his credit, he's smart enough to know it's the end.

I really enjoy him as a commentator. Does a good job calling the action, never tries to take over the broadcast or inject his own agenda in claiming anything other than what's actually taking place.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
          Fox Deportes. It's in the last line of my article!

I agree, he's retiring at the right time. I gave him some slack after the Juanma rematch - if anything, it showed how far gone both fighters were. Roman fight was the perfect barometer to determine whether or not he should stick around. To his credit, he's smart enough to know it's the end.

I really enjoy him as a commentator. Does a good job calling the action, never tries to take over the broadcast or inject his own agenda in claiming anything other than what's actually taking place.
          I have a question about the first Ponce De Leon-Sod Kokietgym fight. Did you just check BoxRec or do you remember how it went? I heard the fight could have gone either way, hence the rematch.

Ponce De Leon has had a good career. A true professional who really made the most of his ability. Respect. Besides his job at Fox Deportes I think he also owns a Boxing gym. Smart man.

Comment

Farewell Champ, I will truly miss your wars in the squared circle.

I hope he sticks around the sport as a commentator, he's not bad.

Comment

Good luck champ. Awesome fighter with a lot heart.

Comment

I liked Ponce De Leon's fights. I thought the Juanma Lopez rematch fight was stopped a little premature but he knows when its time. Good luck with the rest of your career champ. If he is a commentator for ESPN deportes then he's got it made..

Comment

Much love PDL! True warrior and thank you for the memories!

Comment

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
                    I have a question about the first Ponce De Leon-Sod Kokietgym fight. Did you just check BoxRec or do you remember how it went? I heard the fight could have gone either way, hence the rematch.

Ponce De Leon has had a good career. A true professional who really made the most of his ability. Respect. Besides his job at Fox Deportes I think he also owns a Boxing gym. Smart man.
                    I watched it and have it on tape (yes, video tape, one of the last I recorded on VHS). It headlined a quadrupleheader on HBO Latino - a pleasant surprise as the card was originally destined for PPV.

It was a close fight because PDL was dropped early. He otherwise outboxed him. I don't remember it being a fight that could've went either way. I remember it being an 8-4 type of fight and surprised they had a rematch, to be honest. But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                    X