No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Stiverne-Arreola/Nietes-Fuentes: Post Report Cards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Stiverne-Arreola/Nietes-Fuentes: Post Report Cards

Boxing fans had a good Saturday night. Whether they watched just one major main event, or the other, or both, it was a good night.

For those who watched both, it was a great night. The Heavyweight rematch between Bermane Stiverne and Chris Arreola, and the Jr. Flyweight rematch between Donnie Nietes and Moises Fuentes, both delivered everything fans can ask for.

They were fun. They were competitive. They were better than their original. The outcomes were indisputable.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Pff...So I guess Brian Minto, Nagy Aguilera, Joey Abell and Seth Mitchell aren't wins against real contenders for the throne.

This is true.

But Arreola is still a "ton" of fun to watch.

Comment

I dont get how Stiverne's defense grade increased.. he was getting rocked for a few of those rounds.. mightve even been losing up to that point

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Shyt View Post
        I dont get how Stiverne's defense grade increased.. he was getting rocked for a few of those rounds.. mightve even been losing up to that point
        Arreola slowed down a lot in round four. His game plan was probably to get Stiverne out of there in the first couple rounds like with Mitchell, and when it didn't happen it probably broke his motivation a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Shyt View Post
          I thought he adjusted well I four and he blocked/slipped well for a lot of the fight. Getting caught in a good fight happens but he kept damage down and minimized follow up assaults.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            I thought he adjusted well I four and he blocked/slipped well for a lot of the fight. Getting caught in a good fight happens but he kept damage down and minimized follow up assaults.
            I thought his defense picked up after Arreola got discouraged by Stiverne's power and became less aggressive. From a defense standpoint, I thought that was more Arreola faded, not Stiverne adjusted. I also thought Stiverne had very poor head movement and ate way too many straight shots. Neither one was a defensive stalwart in that fight. Against a faster fighter with a reach, Stiverne would pay the price for that low left hand.

I also think Arreola's power is a bit high. On one punch that he sits down on, he probably has B+ power, but he throws a lot of arm punches and doesn't appear to have much power at all in his combinations. I've always thought he was a bit of an accumulator fighter, not a real power guy.

I agree with all your other ratings. Good comments as always and love the fact that you get on the boards and discuss your articles.

Comment

I think people are being way to critical of Stivernes defense. Arreola was throwing 4-5 punch combinations and not a great deal got through.
              Stiverne was slipping well & took a lot on the gloves. I think his head movement is underrated.

Its possibly because he utilised a high guard so people assumed everything that looked like it got between the gloves landed clean.

I am not saying hes got great defense by any stretch but the amount of criticism I have seen you'd think he was Brandon Rios.

I thought it was an impressive performance & I am glad to see a relatively in shape heavyweight who has some real hunger and skills outside of Wlad.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                I think people are being way to critical of Stivernes defense. Arreola was throwing 4-5 punch combinations and not a great deal got through.
                Stiverne was slipping well & took a lot on the gloves. I think his head movement is underrated.

Its possibly because he utilised a high guard so people assumed everything that looked like it got between the gloves landed clean.

I am not saying hes got great defense by any stretch but the amount of criticism I have seen you'd think he was Brandon Rios.

I thought it was an impressive performance & I am glad to see a relatively in shape heavyweight who has some real hunger and skills outside of Wlad.
                That was my feeling. The best D of the weekend was Nietes...wish more people had seen that. Good scrap. As to Stiverne, I still think he needs to fire more and I think he could be in better shape. He dropped almost ten from the first fight and his weight fluxes are not far off Arreola's.

Originally posted by hillbilly View Post
                I thought his defense picked up after Arreola got discouraged by Stiverne's power and became less aggressive. From a defense standpoint, I thought that was more Arreola faded, not Stiverne adjusted. I also thought Stiverne had very poor head movement and ate way too many straight shots. Neither one was a defensive stalwart in that fight. Against a faster fighter with a reach, Stiverne would pay the price for that low left hand.

I also think Arreola's power is a bit high. On one punch that he sits down on, he probably has B+ power, but he throws a lot of arm punches and doesn't appear to have much power at all in his combinations. I've always thought he was a bit of an accumulator fighter, not a real power guy.

I agree with all your other ratings. Good comments as always and love the fact that you get on the boards and discuss your articles.
                I love that you read them. Always a pleasure.

Comment

Good points in the article about how clinical the managing of Arreola along the way to this point. One thing I think fans don't focus in on though... Arreola makes a big deal when he's 'in shape'... but really, he's never been in shape. He's just such a lazy fighter in general, that ANY effort in the gym he will consider 'working his azz off'. And we see basically a fighter who, if not for the pleasing personality and being protected and well managed along the way, would've never gotten past fringe journeyman.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
                    Good points in the article about how clinical the managing of Arreola along the way to this point. One thing I think fans don't focus in on though... Arreola makes a big deal when he's 'in shape'... but really, he's never been in shape. He's just such a lazy fighter in general, that ANY effort in the gym he will consider 'working his azz off'. And we see basically a fighter who, if not for the pleasing personality and being protected and well managed along the way, would've never gotten past fringe journeyman.
                    Based on results, has he ever got past that?

Comment

Working...
                    X