Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arreola Praises Stiverne's Speed, Hitting Like a Bulldozer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Arreola Praises Stiverne's Speed, Hitting Like a Bulldozer

LOS ANGELES --- Chris Arreola had nothing but respect for Bermane Stiverne after being knocked out in the sixth round on Saturday night at USC's Galen center on ESPN.

Stiverne floored Arreola with a right hand for the first knockdown in the sixth round and it proved to be the beginning of the end. He got knocked down one more time and barely beat the count before a follow-up flurry forced the referee to stop the fight.
    [Click Here To Read More]

"Wilder, to me, hasn't proved himself," Arreola said. "So Bermade would easily take him out."
    What credibility does Arreola have to dismiss a young fighter who has knocked out every opponent he's faced when Arreola said "No more cervezas. I got to live a clean life man" after getting knocked out in a fight that presented him with the opportunity to make history?

It says a lot about the sport of boxing when a guy like Arreola has so many fans and an up-and-coming fighter Wilder has so many haters. Yes, Wilder still has a lot to prove and he may never live up to the hype, but I'll take an in-shape prospect over an old tomato can with a dirty mouth and the same tired lifestyle excuses any day.

By the way, that right hand that Arreola says he didn't see coming was basically the same punch that dropped him in the last fight. Everybody watching the fight with an IQ over 70 knew it was coming.

Comment

Stiverne's right hook is a sleeper. Literally, it will put your ass to sleep. It's something of a beauty when it connects.

Comment

So will we finally see Wladimir Klitschko fight someone who isn't a complete idiot or undersized? Or will we what until Stiverne is 40. Fight now it's hot

Comment

Ran into Arreola last night at the Pantry in Downtown LA around 2am. Cool guy I gave him props an respect for being a warrior.

Comment

Arreola is easy to hit. WK isn't. Stiverne's speed is at close range. Unfortunately WK will just jab him to death whilst keeping his head way out of range.

I saw Stiverne's trainer compare him to Tyson - what a joker! Does Stiverne have the elusive upper body movement and quick feet of a prime Tyson? Not even close. How will Stiverne close to the gap to WK? With that pathetic jab from the hip?

I want to see WK lose, I badly do, but Stiverne does not have the tools to do it. You either need a tough pressure fighter (Chisora) or somebody who doesn't have the physical disadvantage (Fury, Wilder) and then they have to have skills. I would like to see Chisora vs Stiverne, that would be a good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan82 View Post
              What credibility does Arreola have to dismiss a young fighter who has knocked out every opponent he's faced when Arreola said "No more cervezas. I got to live a clean life man" after getting knocked out in a fight that presented him with the opportunity to make history?

It says a lot about the sport of boxing when a guy like Arreola has so many fans and an up-and-coming fighter Wilder has so many haters. Yes, Wilder still has a lot to prove and he may never live up to the hype, but I'll take an in-shape prospect over an old tomato can with a dirty mouth and the same tired lifestyle excuses any day.

By the way, that right hand that Arreola says he didn't see coming was basically the same punch that dropped him in the last fight. Everybody watching the fight with an IQ over 70 knew it was coming.
              He's right about Wilder. He's still very unproven. Did you call Arreola a tomato can?? He's far from a tomato can and I'm not sure Wilder would be able to beat him. Wilder has haters just like he has lots of fans who claims he's the next big thing and will destroy everyone out there. It comes with the territory

Regarding the punch he never saw coming. Just because you know your opponents strengths and you know a certain punch could be coming doesn't mean you can't get caught off guard. Arreola was doing quite well for himself during the fight and had been able to throw that jab throughout the first five rounds without getting countered with anything that would hurt him badly and make him think twice. Stiverne is a good smart fighter and finally was able to set him up and catch him with a great fast counter in the temple that Arreola didn't see coming. The same kind of punch that could very well end Wilder's dream if he steps into the ring with Stiverne.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
                Regarding the punch he never saw coming. Just because you know your opponents strengths and you know a certain punch could be coming doesn't mean you can't get caught off guard.
                Anybody can get caught, especially in the heavyweight division, but if you watched the fight closely yesterday, it was obvious that Arreola made no substantive defensive adjustments. He was aimlessly following Stiverne around for most of the fight and let Stiverne set the same trap. Obliviously, he fell right into it.

Stiverne is clearly a smart fighter, but you can only give him so much credit. Setting Arreola up was as easy as stealing candy from a baby.

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
                Arreola was doing quite well for himself during the fight and had been able to throw that jab throughout the first five rounds without getting countered with anything that would hurt him badly and make him think twice.
                What fight were you watching? Arreola was staggered at the end of the first round, and it was clear that Stiverne's body punches were bothering him. There were several occasions where a body shot completely blunted Arreola's offense and forced him to pull back.

Arreola did increase his punch output early in the fight but it came at a heavy cost: he was visibly tired after the first several rounds. Unless you have Mike Tyson-like power, you cannot go into 12 round championship fights expecting to win without a decent level of conditioning.

Stiverne might knock Wilder out. Wilder might knock Stiverne out. But one thing is certain: Wilder won't be entering the ring with a spare tire and moobs, and win or lose, he won't be talking about how he needs to cut out the cervezas after the fight is over. That alone puts Wilder in a class above Arreola.

Comment

Yeah, the guy hits like a truck. Klitschko hit arreola a billion times and couldn't drop him

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
                    Yeah, the guy hits like a truck. Klitschko hit arreola a billion times and couldn't drop him
                    I doubt Arreola could stand up to that now. He'd be toast vs either Klit now within 5. It would be fun to watch though.

Comment

Working...
                    X