No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Video: De La Hoya Talks Schaefer, Arum, Haymon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Video: De La Hoya Talks Schaefer, Arum, Haymon

MGM Grand, Las Vegas - Luis Sandoval catches Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya, as he gets together with the media to discuss his the current state of his company, the internal dispute with Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, any potential issues with powerful manager Al Haymon, attempting to reignite a working relationship with Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum and more.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Really hard to read between the lines here. But my best guess is that although oscar's majority ownership is probably secure, schaefer has been trying (with some success) to convince a large enough faction of the Golden Boy board of directors to remove Oscar as President, which could mean that Oscar loses any operational control, including the right to hire and fire officers such as the CEO. If that is true and if it happens, then oscar's involvement would be limited to seeing the value of his shares grow, and to receiving dividends if any are declared by the Board. Oscar's only remedy at that point would be to, over time and through a difficult progress, gradually remove hostile board members and re-stack the board in his favour. My guess is Oscar is majority shareholder but probably doesn't have a supermajority (2/3) of voting shares. I for one hope Oscar succeeds in maintaining control of at least GB's current actual stable and at least some of the haymon fighters that have been tagging along with GB. So that when schaefer and haymon get together, they won't have the insurmountable leverage that comes with owning almost all the big names and title holders in the game. Oscars not as smart as Oscar thinks he is, but he's smarter than Arum gives him credit for, smarter than Richard is betting he is, and def smarter than FMJ sans Haymon.

Comment

Another reason if like to see showtime/haymon's ascendancy checked so they are forced to work with others is this: much respect to Paulie as a fighter and analyst, but RJJ much better at both. I'd take Lampley/Jones over Ranallo/Malignaggi any day.

Comment

Originally posted by baronbyng View Post
        Really hard to read between the lines here. But my best guess is that although oscar's majority ownership is probably secure.

Schaefer has been trying (with some success) to convince a large enough faction of the Golden Boy board of directors to remove Oscar as President, which could mean that Oscar loses any operational control, including the right to hire and fire officers such as the CEO.

If that is true and if it happens, then oscar's involvement would be limited to seeing the value of his shares grow, and to receiving dividends if any are declared by the Board.

Oscar's only remedy at that point would be to, over time and through a difficult progress, gradually remove hostile board members and re-stack the board in his favour. My guess is Oscar is majority shareholder but probably doesn't have a supermajority (2/3) of voting shares.

I for one hope Oscar succeeds in maintaining control of at least GB's current actual stable and at least some of the haymon fighters that have been tagging along with GB.

So that when schaefer and haymon get together, they won't have the insurmountable leverage that comes with owning almost all the big names and title holders in the game.

Oscars not as smart as Oscar thinks he is, but he's smarter than Arum gives him credit for, smarter than Richard is betting he is, and def smarter than FMJ sans Haymon.
        Fixed...and still TLDR.
        At least learn to paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by noStylez View Post
          Fixed...and still TLDR.
          At least learn to paragraph.
          Sorry. Thanks.

Comment

Oscar needs to merge with Top Rank make it a bigger company and Kick Shafer, Haymon and Floyd to the curb trust me Floyd is on the verge of losing if he fights Madaina , Porter or Thurman guys who will take it to him once his a$$ is beaten nobody will care of him . On paper he has 0 losses but to real fans he has 2 losses and if you follow the rules he should have 3 if you count Judah which should have ended in a DQ

Comment

Working...
            X