No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Thurman Headlines, Matthysse-Molina Steals The Show

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Thurman Headlines, Matthysse-Molina Steals The Show

By Luis Sandoval - StubHub Center, Carson, California - Keith “One Time” Thurman made short work of veteran Julio Diaz as a fight that was just starting to heat up was abruptly stopped after the 3rd round when Diaz suffered a rib injury. A punch Thurman landed caused the damage as he recorded the 21st stoppage of his career.

This was Thurman’s first time headlining a card on a major network and while the fight may have ended in anticlimactic fashion, he still showed why he’s one of the most promising fighters in the welterweight division. His power and speed were evident and hitting someone so hard you hurt their ribs is a nice feather in your cap.

Thurman looked strong and crisp from the onset and the first good punch he landed on Diaz hurt him right away proving One Time truly does possess good power. Diaz was game and looked to land punches of his own but Keith was faster as he evaded Diaz’s attack and countered with a big right hand to close the first round.

In the 2nd round, Thurman landed a flush right hand but it was a sweeping uppercut that really put Diaz in a bad state as his legs wobbled and was momentarily hurt. Diaz’s troubles would continue as a left hand landed on the side of his head would cause a delayed reaction as he went down to a knee. Things didn’t look promising for Diaz who seemed to be getting shook with all of Thurman’s big punches. [Click Here To Read More]

Shawn Porter/ Keith Thurman would be a great fight.

Comment

I wanna see Thurman vs Kahn

Comment

i thought it was a great card, especially the matthysse v. molina bout. but, i turned my attention to ufc's jones v. texiera bout rather than watch thurman. there's just something that irks me when it comes to thurman...maybe it's the dookie braids...such an unfortunate hairstyle.

Comment

Thurman wasnt to convincing this fight I think he still needs to be tested . Would love to see him fight maidana or porter . Matthysse on the other hand surprised me with a great comeback . His fight against molina could easioy be a fight of the year candidate . Bring on a rematch with danny garcia I say he beat garcia easy for the titles at 140. The way garcia looked against herrera he will deff lose in a Matthysse rematch

Comment

Lucas Matthysse looked shot he's done at the top elite level. IMO he left something in the ring that night against Garcia.
            Last edited by AP♠; 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AP***9824; View Post
              Lucas Matthysse looked shot he's done at the top elite level. IMO he left something in the ring that night against Garcia.
              Knockdowns aside he completely dominated. He wasnt hurt by either knockdown (one being to the back of the head). He fought well and adjusted perfectly. Molina just happened to be tough as all hell.

You could be right though. Garcia and Matty was a pretty brutal fight itself and maybe Danny is also not the same... I think Their opposition was just very tough (and a bad matchup for Danny) more so than either losing something.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                Knockdowns aside he completely dominated. He wasnt hurt by either knockdown (one being to the back of the head). He fought well and adjusted perfectly. Molina just happened to be tough as all hell.

You could be right though. Garcia and Matty was a pretty brutal fight itself and maybe Danny is also not the same... I think Their opposition was just very tough (and a bad matchup for Danny) more so than either losing something.
                I think this is more or less the case. Herrera and Molina were tough guys. The problem with boxing ( one of many ) is that when a fighter with a name has a tough time with a nameless opponent, then all of a sudden the name guy is shot. Totally taking away from the name fighters win. Just because we never really heard of a fighter doesn't mean he totally sucks and should be rolled over. Matthysse fought hard for his win against a game Molina. Give both some credit.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post

The layoff could of done a difference also 11 months out is long time I get the impression when someone's really stepping it on him he didn't react too well to adversity but he won and closed the show in good fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingWizard69 View Post
                    Thurman wasnt to convincing this fight I think he still needs to be tested . Would love to see him fight maidana or porter . Matthysse on the other hand surprised me with a great comeback . His fight against molina could easioy be a fight of the year candidate . Bring on a rematch with danny garcia I say he beat garcia easy for the titles at 140. The way garcia looked against herrera he will deff lose in a Matthysse rematch
                    I doubt it. Styles make fights and Herrera is a strictly technical fighter/boxer who utilizes a jab very well and can exploit the holes in a fight game while Matthysse is a power hitter who mostly relies on his power to get the job done. He is an ok boxer but take that punch away and he has a hard time. Reminds me of Miguel Cotto. Cotto was very dangerous when he could put hurting on his opponents but when he fought guys who could absorb his power he had hard times. A boxer technical type will always give Garcia problems if Danny doesn't fix his weaknesses. Garcia took Matthysse's punch away and boxed him. Don't see Matthysse over coming Garcia. Garcia has big problems with speed and unfortunately Matthysse ain't fast enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X