Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roman Karmazin: Povetkin is Too Small for a Heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Roman Karmazin: Povetkin is Too Small for a Heavyweight

Former IBF light middleweight champion Roman Karmazin, the fourth major titleholder in Russian boxing history, expressed his feelings about heavyweights Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin in an interview with ITAR-TASS media agency.

“Every fighter with the same level of skills with Povetkin has his chance to become a world champion. Hands down, Alexander is extremely talented but he would have more chances if he was a cruiserweight. He is too small for a real heavyweight”, commented Karmazin.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Povetkin is actually a small heavyweight, like David Haye.

His ideal weight would be about 210.

However, there's many others (Bakhtov, Boytsov, Minto, Chambers, Sosnowski, Chagaev, Adamek, etc) who are natural cruiserweights fighting at HW.

Comment

Am I the only one that feels that Povetkin would have had a great shot at a KO with Wladamir if it wasn't for all the .......I don't even know what to call it because it was like holding and leaning or laying on Povetkin. Total bull**** fight. The ref should have gotten suspended and investigated. I don't trust that ref from PR (Luis **bron) and my family is from PR so F**k that ref! I usually support Wladimir but I'm mad at him for that fight. He robbed us of what could have been a great boxing match.

If the ref does his job then Povetkin can definitely compete at heavyweight.

Comment

he just can't beat Wlad
        FWIW, he was beating everybody else for the most part
        thought before guys like him and Chambers should downsize to CW
        might still be a good move for him if he could possibly do it
        there's not gonna be a Wlad rematch, he needs to do something
        if he stays at HW, he's stuck being somewhere below the top spot
        he didn't mind milking a fake WBA belt before though, so whatever

Comment

I think Povetkin is really a blown up Cruiser. He always looked soft at HW, even at 220 pounds. He could get down to 210 and then dehydrate to 200 for the weigh in, should not be a problem. But i think its to late now because fighting at CW is different. Stepping down in weight is not always a good idea when your not used to fight there. Just ask Eddie Chambers.
          Last edited by Tobi.G; 04-06-2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

He's built like a refrigerator though, it's hard to imagine him under 200 lbs. That's mostly muscle he isn't flabby like Aerreola. And would he even get a pay raise at cruiser?

It's only recently that we call 220-230 lbs heavies "blown up cruiserweights" because we are comparing them to Lennox and the Klitschkos. Sasha is not a small heavyweight he's just too small for the current champion.

Comment

I disagree. Why fix something that is not broke? We all see what happened to Eddie Chambers vs Thabiso Mchunu and Chambers at the time when fighting at heavyweight was only several pounds over the cruiserweight limit and looked lost and confused in the ring vs Mchunu. Povetkin was a world heavyweight champion (paper i know, but still a official world title) and went the distance with Klitschko and has just been ordered to fight Luis Ortiz in a vacant WBA regular world heavyweight title fight.. No shame in losing to Wladimir on points who has been on one hell of a run as of late and has been the top dog for several years.
              Last edited by chocolate; 04-06-2014, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torosboxing75 View Post
                Am I the only one that feels that Povetkin would have had a great shot at a KO with Wladamir if it wasn't for all the .......I don't even know what to call it because it was like holding and leaning or laying on Povetkin. Total bull**** fight. The ref should have gotten suspended and investigated. I don't trust that ref from PR (Luis **bron) and my family is from PR so F**k that ref! I usually support Wladimir but I'm mad at him for that fight. He robbed us of what could have been a great boxing match.

If the ref does his job then Povetkin can definitely compete at heavyweight.
                I was also less then enthused about how Wlad fought Povetkin. But I think quite the opposite then you do. Because nothing in that fight leads me to believe that Povetkn had a chance to win. I also believe that Wlad would have easily taken Povetkin out if he would have only thrown more punches. In my opinion his style seemed so unnecessary and even rather bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebanon View Post
                  He's built like a refrigerator though, it's hard to imagine him under 200 lbs. That's mostly muscle he isn't flabby like Aerreola. And would he even get a pay raise at cruiser?

It's only recently that we call 220-230 lbs heavies "blown up cruiserweights" because we are comparing them to Lennox and the Klitschkos. Sasha is not a small heavyweight he's just too small for the current champion.
                  Yeah. Povetkin is in no way a small heavyweight or a cruiserweight. He's a normal sized heavyweight. Wlad happens to be a big heavyweight. His being big does not convert all normal heavyweights to being small. Godamighty, it does not work like that, Roman.

Comment

I didn't read the article, but... When a fighter with the nickname "made in hell" speaks. It has my attention....

Comment

Working...
                    X