Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” - Canelo-Angulo: No Miracle, Just Mercy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” - Canelo-Angulo: No Miracle, Just Mercy

by David P. Greisman - My boxing weekend began at a Friday night card that provided quite the contrast with the show that followed 24 hours later — when a famous fighter named Canelo Alvarez would meet well-known opponent Alfredo Angulo in a bout airing globally, sold on pay-per-view and taking place in front of more than 14,000 people at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

On the night before Alvarez-Angulo, I was one of hundreds in a building at Rosecroft Raceway in Ft. Washington, Md., a faded track that in recent years has seen far more simulcasting of races elsewhere than actual horses live. It is a venue in a poorer county that is surrounded by 11 of this country’s 25 wealthiest counties. The main event featured junior-welterweight prospect Mike Reed, a 21-year-old still early in his pro career but who brought with him some legitimate amateur credentials.

[Click Here To Read More]

I'd like to see you do a similar breakdown of the ticket sales for Pacquiao-Bradley 2.

Comment

I just don't like that Weeks ended the fight for that punch. Wait until Alvarez pops him with another combo, it was probably coming in the next ten seconds. Alvarez's face when it happened says it all.

I'm very interested in the PPV buys as well.

Comment

Is true Angulo started weak, slow and looked like an old man, but previous two rounds before Weeks stopped the fight were his best two rounds and landed many power shots to Canela. I don't doubt it was all set to protect again his Cinderella from angulo. This Cinderella is protected in all possible ways and his delusion will be greater than Nonito was.

Comment

Regarding Garcia/Herrera ticket sales... we're gonna have to wait for eye-witness accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by racostaa View Post
            Is true Angulo started weak, slow and looked like an old man, but previous two rounds before Weeks stopped the fight were his best two rounds and landed many power shots to Canela. I don't doubt it was all set to protect again his Cinderella from angulo. This Cinderella is protected in all possible ways and his delusion will be greater than Nonito was.
            the stop was premature but there was no way no how that angulo would come back and win the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
              Regarding Garcia/Herrera ticket sales... we're gonna have to wait for eye-witness accounts.
              If I have an hour to kill on Friday or Saturday before the fight, I'll check the website again. But otherwise, I imagine they may end up giving plenty of tickets away.

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              I'd like to see you do a similar breakdown of the ticket sales for Pacquiao-Bradley 2.
              If you mean akin to looking at StubHub and TicketsNow for the secondary market pricing, sure. If you mean looking at actual sales like I did for Garcia-Herrera, that won't be possible ahead of time. Ticket Center PR is different than other sites in that it shows interactive maps with every single seat and whether it has been purchased or is still available.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
                If I have an hour to kill on Friday or Saturday before the fight, I'll check the website again. But otherwise, I imagine they may end up giving plenty of tickets away.
                Sweet.
                Keep us updated on that... Schaeffer has been saying everything has been selling out lately

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
                  Sweet.
                  Keep us updated on that... Schaeffer has been saying everything has been selling out lately
                  It makes business sense for a promoter to lie like that, I guess. By creating the feeling that "supplies are limited," a promoter hopes people will then rush out to buy tickets rather than waiting, and that folks will be more likely to get tickets in a higher price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
                    the stop was premature but there was no way no how that angulo would come back and win the fight.
                    Agree 100%. It's not the same when you're coming at a guy who can't punch.Angulo was aware and never hit the canvas but, Canelo was landing some serious bombs and it appeared to me that Angulos punches didn't have that much steam at the time of the stoppage. I didn't like the stoppage but I'd rather see Angulo fight another day.

Comment

Working...
                    X